cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mobiusyuger
Level 7

Re: IpMonitor: What We're Working On

Hi Christine,

We're on the fence now, we currently use Tembria and are evaluating ipMonitor for a switch. We are a small department in a University so we can't afford the big guns (e.g. APM, ManageEngine). ipMonitor seems promising and we love the interface, dashboards and community except it's missing some crucial features for us:

1. Custom WMI Performance Counter Monitoring (not hard coded), Tembria does this very well!
2. Service Availability Rollup (Group Availability)
3. Service Availability Report (Group Report)
4. Ability to define statuses (up, down, warning, info) for all sensors. Right now "warning" seems to just apply to time and not threshold. "Informational" statuses are only available to certain sensors. Being able to be warned when certain thresholds are breached will allow us to address before it crosses the fail threshold and affects service availability. Informational will allow us to be notified of non-critical items that shouldn't count against service availability at all (e.g. changes to AD security group)
5. AD authentication (I read this is already on the roadmap)

I guess we are interested in more than just up/down monitoring, we'd like to do preventative maintenance (warnings), change detection (informational) and performance trending (capacity planning) as well.

I know these are not on your current release schedule but could they be in the future or am I just dreaming? Smiley Happy

Thanks for your consideration!

0 Kudos
MarieB
Level 13

mobiusyuger--

I'll mark for PM to review.

Thx,

M

0 Kudos
christineb
Level 15

Hi Mobiusyuger: thanks for the feature requests. Most, if not all of these, are available in APM. Have you had a chance to check out the new pricing for the standalone product?

As for IpM - you are right that AD authentication is on the road map for IpM. You can see the rest of what we are working on for IpM here: 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Term
Level 9

Christine,

I don't think there was any release in 2010, if there is no release in 2011, how about cutting our maintenance in half to reflect the level of solarwinds commitment to the product?

0 Kudos
christineb
Level 15

Hi Term - there is one coming - we should be announcing an RC quite soon. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
ffreire
Level 7

Hi Christine,

About the RC, would it be possible for you to be a little more specific in terms of the timeframe? Are we talking a couple of weeks, a couple of months, or something else entirely?

The reason I ask is a few months ago a did an evaluation of ipMonitor and while I was overall pleased with the product ultimately I decided against it because it fell short in some specific areas. Fast forward and now I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on WhatsUp. I would like to give ipMonitor another chance but on the other hand I can't wait indefinitely.

Thanks,

Fabio

0 Kudos
christineb
Level 15

Hi Ffreire - The new version of IpM will be released in a matter of months - but the RC will be announced in a matter of weeks. If you are looking at what's up - I'd really suggest taking a peek at APM - we have it in a stand-alone version now, and it's really powerful and price competitive. 

--Christine

0 Kudos

#4 and #2 will be very helpfull, especially #4.  Even better yet (or in addition to this), it would be nice if the old functionality was restored so that new groups, devices, and monitors could be added in bulk via CSV file.

As far as using AD/windows accounts, this would be even more valuable if you also had the ability to create basic displays for end-users (ie. remove security-sensitive info such as IP addresses from their view).  I want them to know what is down, but no configuration details.

0 Kudos
christineb
Level 15

Hi All - the RC of ipM 10.5 is ready for any customers on active maintenance interested in participating. If you are, please send me an email at christine.bentsen@solarwinds.com and we will get you set up. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
WaltH
Level 7

I did not see it listed but is there any chance for SNMPv3 support in the next release?

0 Kudos