cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

IPv6 support

Jump to solution

Where does IPv6 support sit in the ipMonitor roadmap?  Hopefully its sooner rather than later.

I hadn't been too concerned about this previously, but today I attended an industry summit on the topic.  IPv4 address exhaustion is real and probably closer than we think.  The experts in our part of the world estimate our RIR will run out of addresses to allocate around mid next year.  Organisations are well advised to be proactive and begin transitioning towards IPv6 now rather than leaving it until a crisis hits and trying to deal with it then.  This came from none other than Vint Cerf, Google's Chief Internet Evangelist and the father of the internet.

I'm interested to know if ipMonitor will be able to keep pace with us as we transition to IPv6, or will it be relegated to monitoring IPv4 devices only for the foreseeable future?

Thanks - Simon

Tags (1)
1 Solution
Level 15

Hi Chris - this is something we're keeping on the road map for a future release.  We are starting to hear more requests for it, and we'd like to hear if more community members need this functionality as well. 

Thanks, 

Christine 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Level 7

Need to get some some traction here.  We have dozens of IPv6 nodes we'd like to monitor directly (Smart Grid APs, Relays, even a sampling of meters).  Right now we have to do it via a shell script running on an IPv6-enabled host, which really doesn't give a lot of good details.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Thanks for the input. We definitely hear your requests and we're taking note. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Level 7

Also, to clarify (and perhaps put more weight on this subject), we have over 150,000 IPv6-only smart-meter nodes.  While we don't need to or intend to monitor them with Orion, we do want to monitor the core infrastructure which supports these nodes.  Some of this core infrastructure is IPv6-only.

You're going to find more and more folks doing the same thing we are who will be looking for products to monitor their infrastructure and needing IPv6.  External script hacks are really ugly and don't clearly pinpoint the node having the problem without diving deep into the errors.

0 Kudos
Level 9

What is the current status ?
We really would like to start monitoring ipv6.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hello,

Can you give us a date on when Orion will have IPv6 support?  My Engineers are turning up IPv6 soon and are wanting to move my management network into it first.  I have a large Orion implementation and have only just begun to look into this.

If this feature is being driven by customer demand then please put me into the "demanding" category.  😉

0 Kudos
Level 15

Hi Warbird - are you looking for IPV6 support in Orion (NPM) or in IpMonitor? 

Thanks, 

Christine

0 Kudos
Level 10

NPM.  I already posted this over there, once I realized where the IPv6 search took me.  🙂

0 Kudos