This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPMonitor Upgrade - New Features

When is the last time SolarWinds released a decent product update for IPMonitor?  I am not sure even worth paying maintenance renewal every year!! Quality of this product is degrading day by day.  I think its time to look for other monitoring software.

• binuani--

We have a release candidate for IpMonitor 10.5. It should be in your customer portal if you are on active maintenance.

Also, here is a forum for the RC where you can post questions and get answers.

HTH,

M

• Any noticable features? support for exchange 2010, SQL 2K8 R2 etc?

• Hi Binuani - here's a post about ipM 10.5 - 

Since that post, we've opened up the RC to all customers on active maintenance. 

--Christine

• Binuani,

I couldn't agree with you more!

We were getting calls left right and centre from Solarwinds sales prompting us to renew. For what!? As you say the functionality is poor, customisation is worse, and it takes them a year to add in-built monitors for things like Exchange 2010!!!

We then find a bug and await a new version to get the fix, and when the new version is released we can't see the release notes, neither is it any easier to find the information on the web.

When we spoke to Solarwinds sales they were happy enough to take our money for renewal but couldn't / woudln't tell us if the bug fix was actually included in the updated version and were not prepared to even give us a trial.

They call this an "IP"monitor! ROFL!!!

I will pay my hard earned money if Solarwinds earn in! So far it seems they couldn't be bothered to listen to their customers needs, and can't be bothered to improve IPmonitor!

A VERY dissapointed customer!

• There is an RC version out now. It should be available for you to download in your customer portal. As for Release Notes, those don't come out until the official "release" date. You might consider submitting a support ticket and have them provide you a list of the included fixes, if that would be helpful.
  • My thoughts on Solarwinds and what they have done to what was a great product are well documented in this forum.  To their credit, they've provided an upgrade path to Orion, but their special offer doesn't include APM so we would lose a lot of the application monitoring we currently do with IPM.

The next logical step for us is to look for alternative solutions.  I'm quite liking the look of Paessler's PRTG.  Reminds me a lot of what first drew us to IPM -- lots of bang for the buck.  The difference is that PRTG is being actively developed and has modern features like a RESTful API, smartphone apps and support for SNMP v3, NetFlow, sFlow, etc.

Any other solutions worth looking at?

• Hi Simonpt  - when you say our "special offer" doesn't include APM - I'm not sure what you mean. I'll contact you offline to see how we can help. 

--Christine

• With all the new free products coming out what would seem every 5 minutes it's not surprising that development has near enough halted for IPM.  I would imagine that their developers are swamped! (their product set is too large.) It's not unlike a greedy Symantec, however I admit that at least SolarWinds (AFAIK) develop their own products. and don't try and buy the world out ;)

I understand that free products are a great sales avenue, allowing new customers into the product range, and keeping some existing customers happy, but to be honest, I would rather development was done to existing products for paying customers.

It's no different from the financial market... move to us and we'll give you X, but when you're on our books you get 0.

So in short, freebies are nice but not at the demise of full blown products that customers pay for!

Having said all of that, thanks to those who posted quickly to my other recent threads, Much appreciated. (Support are always the unsung heroes!) ;)

• There is no noticeable features in 10.5 NOT worth spending money on upgrade!!!!  Time to look for a BETTER product.  I must say IPMonitor used to be a good product and better support .. not anymore..

Looks like SolarWinds just want your maintenance $$'s without offering any new features

• I recently purchased IPMonitor and I got version 10.0 not 10.5.  I logged into my customer portal and I DO NOT have the RC 10.5.  I guess it is not available to all customers.

I agree with most of your points on here, but a $1k plus product should have some sort of support and features added to it regularly.  The idea with IPMonitor is to get your feet wet then upgrade to the full blown Orion. 

HOWEVER; if the support and response to the product from SolarWinds is any indication of the support and response for Orion, I will be sure to go somewhere else.