This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPM 9 woes

We
recently upgraded from version 8.5 to version 9 release 1236.  I have gone
as far as I can go through support, please reference case 33496.

The
problem is that the upgraded groups came across as devices without any information
about them; open the device, click on edit, click on properties - nothing is
populated.

We
have been given two options;

• Revert back to 8.5 then do an upgrade to 1242, thus
    losing all work we have done since we upgraded, this is substantial -
    something to do with how the manifest is created.
  • Upgrade from 1236 to 1242, hand create every device,
    then manually move all of the monitors around, this too is very
    substantial

I
would appreciate some alternatives; neither option is a good option.  The
human investment to complete the upgrade process by hand does not seem
reasonable.

On
a side note, it would be nice to add the following features in the future;

1. Since nested groups are new to this version, it would
    be nice to have a search that returns the locations of an object… the full
    path of where things live
  2. The ability to rescan the properties of a device, not
    the monitors, just the device properties...who knows, one day you might
    change its IP address or upgrade the OS
  3. The ability to merge device to device, device to group
    or group to group
  4. If IPM is shut down cleanly, it would be nice if it
    came back up in the same state it left...as in....suspended monitors
    staying suspended through reboots.
  5. When setting up an External process monitor, under “analysis
    of test results”, in the “expected return value” field, it would be useful
    to be able to enter logical operators such as <, <=, >, >=, !=,
    instead of the single value that is currently supported.

• It sounds like support is working with you to resolve your issues, but I wanted to go ahead and respond to you feature requests:

Since nested groups are new to this version, it would be nice to have a search that returns the locations of an object… the full path of where things live

This isn't very obvious but if you go to the Devices tab, above the left-hand tree view is a search box.  If you select the down arrow, you can select device or monitor search options.

The ability to rescan the properties of a device, not the monitors, just the device properties...who knows, one day you might change its IP address or upgrade the OS

You can do this today by either a) rerunning discovery engine or b) use Add Device, input IP address of device, and rescan.   We're looking at scheduled discovery scans for a future release.

• The ability to merge device to device, device to group or group to group

This is an interesting idea.  Can you elaborate further on the use-cases behind this request?

If IPM is shut down cleanly, it would be nice if it came back up in the same state it left...as in....suspended monitors staying suspended through reboots.

Good idea.  I'll add this to our enhancement tracking system.

When setting up an External process monitor, under “analysis of test results”, in the “expected return value” field, it would be useful to be able to enter logical operators such as <, <=, >, >=, !=, instead of the single value that is currently supported.

Can you describe the scenarios in which you'd like to use this capability?  I want to ensure I capture this use-case completely.

• In reference to the "full path of where things live", if I find a device, I can see the full path of where it lives.  If I open up the properties of a device or monitor, then click on relations, I can see what groups and devices it belongs to, but not where those groups and devices live.  It would be nice to see the full path in this interface.  Further, it would be really nice if I could uncheck a box next to groups to remove that monitor from the group in that same screen.  An example, say I have a monitor in 12 groups, instead of opening up each of the 12 groups and removing it, I could uncheck it right there and then apply it.

In reference to the ability to rescan, I guess what I was looking for was the ability to rescan the objects that came through the upgrade, but were still un-populated with information.  Just ignore this request as we  are troubleshooting this with tech support.

In reference to the ability to merge devices and groups.  I guess this would be the same as a move button inside a device for individual monitors.  The move button only works inside the orphaned objects right now (for version 1236)

In reference to logical operators on external process monitoring.  An example would be an external log parser that returns results, such as number of web forms filled out, references from site a to site b, etc.  It would be nice to report on the number of log entries as reported by the parser, and alert on thresholds such as too many logs are being created (possible Denial attack) or too few are being created (service is no longer reachable from the box that should be referring to it).

• where can i find built 1242? the website release notes show up to 1236...are you talking about the 8.5 1236 to 1242 or for v9?

• 1242 was through support.  I would recomend waiting numtil the second week of march for their service pack to come out instead of installing 1236 or 1242.

• We're coming out with 9.0.1 very soon (within weeks not months).  If you have any issues with the current build, your best bet is to submit a support ticket and you will be on the first to receive the new build if it resolves your issue.