This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

External process monitor

Sorry if this question had been already asked, but I didn't find any posts by scanning this forum:

Is there any way to set up an external process monitor which would run a script or an executable, that would return an integer value and collect statistics on it? I want the same thing like ipMonitor has for bandwidth/cpu/memory with graphs, etc, but for an external process. Is it possible?

Thank you!

• I have a c# executable I made which the monitor launches.  It does a test for me, and has a return code value.  I then look at that to know what happens.  For example, a return of 0 is success, 5 failure, etc.

It works well for me.

Bo

• aynov,

You are describing the basic existing functionality of the external process monitor which checks only for success/failure. However, as I have mentioned in my original post, I need to also collect statistics on the returned integers and graph them in the reports!

Scenario:
    an external process returns positive integers from 0 to whatever is the integer limit, for instance from 0 to 1024. I want this external process monitor to trigger an alert when the returned value exceeds a certain value (e.g. 256). There's no problems with that for now... But I need to be able to see the report with a graph and a table of values to see the process' historic output, i.e. I need this monitor to collect statistics as bandwidth/drive space and some other monitors do.

• Why not have the return code be the value you want.

For example, if you wanted the memory usage of a process, you run your EXE, and have the return code be the memory usage of the process.

Would that work?

• Hi PTSpaul,

The ability to report on the values returned by an executable to the External Process Monitor is currently a feature request which may find its way in a future version of ipMonitor.  At this time, reporting on these values is not possible.

Sincerely,

Fodome

• Thanks, Fodome!

I also noticed that Directory monitor also has this limitation... I'd like to be able to report the values for size/filecount (depending on what is the setting of the monitor is).

• BTSPaul,

-Reporting on External Process values is tentatively scheduled for next release (9.1)

-Reporting on Directory Size values is tentatively scheduled for next version (10)

Please keep in mind that this can change at any time and is in no way a garantee that these features will exist in future releases/versions.

Sincerely,

Chris Foley (a.k.a Fodome)