Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Devices offline after server migration

Jump to solution

No visible members.PNGOffline.PNG 

I moved a licensed installation of IPMonitor 10 from a Microsoft 2003 to a Microsoft 2012 server. All devices are visible in the new installation but most of the devices are offline. When I do a rescan on a offline device the device is coming online. How is this possible? its not done to rescan more than 2000 devices. It's completely random witch devices are set offline. In the screenshot you can see servers in the same vlan with the same server settings, some servers are online en some are offline The offline servers are pingable from the IPMonitor server and snmp is configured well.

After a while when I select the offline device it says:
Based on the current display settings, this Group has no visible Members or Dependencies.

Kind Regards,

Carlo Malipaard

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Try disabling all monitors, and then enable them in groups to see if you can find any monitor causing the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Level 15

Have you moved your license over?

0 Kudos

Yes, I moved the license server. All devices are online now. It takes a while when all the 3.000 devices are coming online.

0 Kudos

It takes a very long time when devices are coming online on the new IPMonitor server. After a while the ipmonsrv.exe crashes. When this service is restarted again IPMonitor begins at the beginning. We have almost 3.000 monitors.

0 Kudos

Did airsun's suggestion help?

0 Kudos

No, that did not help. The server itself is very low on usage. Most of the devices stays offline and after a while the ipmonitorsrv.exe crashes. I'm now trying to enable devices on groups off 5 devices at the same time.

0 Kudos

Are you running on Windows 2012 or 2012 R2?  Please ipMonitor has not been tested on R2.

0 Kudos

I'am running Server 2012 R2. I don't think its a R2 issue. Ipmonitor service is running fine when I enable devices one at the time. When I enable alle devices at once the service will crash in a few minutes. Maybe there is a monitor that will cause the service to crash..

0 Kudos

Try disabling all monitors, and then enable them in groups to see if you can find any monitor causing the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

I found the problem. It's a script that checks the free space on all LUN's on our SAN's (<50GB) This script was working fine on Server 2003 but not on Server 2012. The UNC path is correct for signal_env.exe an Powershell on the 2012 server.

Script on IPMonitor server:

param($server, $datastore)

Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core

Connect-VIServer $server -user 'xxxxx-password 'xxxxx'

Get-Datastore -Name $datastore | Select FreespaceMB | %{

if ($_.FreeSpaceMB -gt 51200) { Disconnect-VIServer * -Force -Confirm:$False

$env:Output = "success"

elseif ($_.FreeSpaceMB -lt 51200) { Disconnect-VIServer * -Force -Confirm:$False

$env:Output = "failed"

& "D:\Program Files (x86)\ipMonitor8\signal_env.exe"

IPMonitor device monitor:

Monitor Name                                 Storage LH-LUN01

Executable Name                           powershell.exe

Directory                                         C:\Windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\

Command Line Parameters          "&{C:\scripts\VMWareStorage.ps1 -server vi-tc1-vcenter1.vlan81.global-e.nl -datastore LH-LUN01}"

Startup Directory                            C:\Windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\

Variable Name                               Output

Variable Value                               success

When I enable these devices then the IPMonitor service crashes immediately.

The rest of the 2.200 devices are working fine though!

Kind Regards,

Carlo Malipaard

Global-e

0 Kudos

Did you migrate your service account to the new system?

0 Kudos

Hi cmalipaard,

That's great news. I think the reason behind this is that the Staggering Monitor Load on Startup is currently enabled. More on this can be found at ipMonitor :: Staggering Monitor Load on Startup

0 Kudos
Level 8
Its seems that its take a while. All devices are coming online now.  Kind Regards,  Carlo
0 Kudos