This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Configuring traffic thresholds

It appears that on bandwidth usage tests, IP Monitor sets a default value for the last-value threshold and short-term threshold. The values I get are:

Last-Value
Max Traffic (in + out): 1638.40 kb/s

Short-Term
Max Traffic (in + out): 409.60 kb/s
Sample Size: 915 seconds

It doesn't seem as though the software is setting the values based on communication with the ports or NICs being monitored, because it sets the same values for 10/100 interfaces as it does for 10/100/1000 interfaces.

I'm just evaluating the software, so my newbie question is what the best values would be to configure these with for each of the two interface speeds. Can anyone share the values they use to give me some guide as to the best way to configure these? Thanks in advance.

Devin

• Devin

When I setup some bandwidth usage tests it set the last-value as 200k and the short-term at 50k and sample is the same, I would be good if these could be set in a template so when a new test is added it uses whatevers in template rather than IPMonitors defaults.

I use the following on all our gig interfaces. I might once its been running a while tailor each interface to a baseline based on the usage over a past month to try and get it a bit more streamlined and specific per interface. It all depends on whether you just want to know when the interface is maxed out or running high for a long period or if you want to know when its running higher than normal. It's similar to what we do with our CPU alerts and these are tailored to a basline for the server in question.

Last-Value
    Max Traffic (in + out): 400000 kb\s

Short-Term
    Max Traffic (in + out): 200000 kb/s
    Sample Size: 915 seconds

HTH

Jon

• Hi Jon,

That's immensely helpful, thank you. I'll try those out and see what I get with those thresholds.

Devin