cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 8

"Unable to Connect" errors when using Office365 as Email Server

We use Office365 for our email system here. Quite often, though with seemingly no pattern, I get emails from Web Help Desk telling me:

Subject:  Error Processing E-Mail

Body:

Unable to connect to the Incoming Mail Account 'webhelpdeskaccount@myinstitution.com' due to the following error:

"Error while contacting mailbox: The helpdesk was able to make a connection with the Exchange web server, but a timeout occurred while attempting to retrieve the Exchange folder list. Please see FAQ for more information.

Please send any Exchange-related support questions to exchangesupport@webhelpdesk.info."

pastedImage_5.png

When these error happen, I will get an email every two minutes.  I can login to this Office365 account when this is happening, so the account is not unreachable.  Emails from WebHelpDesk's ticketing system still go out.  I have tried some of the Advanced E-Mail Properties, but they don't seem to help.

pastedImage_7.png

Sometimes when I look at the Email settings, both are green. Sometimes not. Like right now. I'm currently logged into this email account. So I know it is online despite the little red light saying it is not.

pastedImage_4.png

Here are my email settings.  If anyone is using Office365 and NOT getting these errors, I'd love to know how you have these settings configured.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: "Unable to Connect" errors when using Office365 as Email Server

Is there any change if you increase the value for the connection timeout (under e-mail options)?  

0 Kudos
Level 12

As Justin says increase the email timeout as office 365 is horribly prone to timeout issues, set it to at least 180

Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks.  I'll try this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Changing the timeout to 180 has caused ticket replies to be rejected.  People are now getting replies like this: "Your request to update Ticket 3536 could not be processed because the ticket could not be located in the help desk database."  So, I've set the timeout back to 60.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Good Day Solarwinders,

My company currently uses 365 and were also getting the same Error Processing E-Mail, did you mange to find a fix for this and if so how did you manage to resolve the issue in the end?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We were getting the same thing, it was a nonstop of errors from helpdesk:

Unable to connect to the Incoming Mail Account 'ithelpdesk@MYENTERPRISE.com' due to the following error:

"A previous attempt to connect to ithelpdesk@MYENTERPRISE.com (host 'east.MYENTERPRISE.MYENTERPRISE.net') failed for 'ithelpdesk@MYENTERPRISE.com'. 0 interval(s) remaining until retry."

Mind you this was working fine up until about a week ago. I started to investigate on helpdesk through the logs and the event errors. It was due to intermittent connection failure of SSL communications with our email host server we use (intermedia). I noticed that we were trying to connect using POP mail with SSL. I changed our email communications on the helpdesk system from POP to Exchange communication instead to get to intermedia.

This change corrected the email communications errors we have been having with helpdesk.

Highlighted
Level 12

i had this same issue and you need to use smtp.loop1helpdesk.com port 25 in the outgoing mail account

0 Kudos