cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwtuck
Level 7

WMI Asset Discovery Problems

We have been using Web Help Desk for quite some time now, currently running 12.4.2.  We have recently started ramping up our usage of the asset piece.  Due to us not having SCCM or Lansweeper, we are using the WMI discovery and having multiple problems with it.

1 - Will not reliably detect all of our PCs.  It is detecting probably 400 of the 450 PC's that we have, with no good reason why it is skipping the others.

2 - Bigger problem seems to be that it is overwriting information in assets.  For example, if it scans IP 192.168.2.2 and finds asset with network name of PC-12345, we then enter hand keyed information about that PC and its owner in Assets.  Then a month from now, it rescans 192.168.2.2 again, and because we are using DHCP, now the PC that has that IP is PC-56789, now it replaces the network name in that asset entry, but leaves all the previous hand keyed information in there.  So we start getting incorrect information in our assets.

I guess my question is, is the IP address the unique identifier in the database that ties all other fields in the asset together?  And if it is, how do you deal with DHCP and changing IP addresses?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
earle.kelley
Level 10

Re: WMI Asset Discovery Problems

We had similar issues. We turned off the IP address import to not record the IP address, and we had to delete the IP address fields of each asset individually. This is not a fix, it is a Band-Aid at best.

We are also wondering what the unique identifier is. I would suggest the Serial number be the Unique ID, but that is just me.@

0 Kudos
earle.kelley
Level 10

*** Update:  Unfortunately, turning off IP Overwriting did not change anything. The computers are still being renamed... Does anyone have a fix or band-aid for this yet?

Also, does anyone know what the primary key field is?

0 Kudos
mwtuck
Level 7

We also tried to turn off IP Overwriting per WebHelpDesk support, and it makes no difference.  I just tested this, and my original asset is completely overwritten by the new information from the new IP.

Would really like a fix for this, or it is pretty much useless in any kind of DHCP environment!

0 Kudos
mark.dangelo
Level 11

Here is some more information that I got from support via the case that I had opened up about this same issue.  They recommended setting the default aging value to match our DHCP lease (in our case, 1 day).  I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense in theory.

- The default aging value (number of days the WHD will remember what computer was found during asset discoveries) is 90 days. This is why I needed to know what you IP lease was as it appears to be very short. We will need to set aging for computer identities to 1 days

Steps:

1) Stop WHD

2)

For windows:

> Edit the wrapper_template.conf and the following arguments to the # Java Additional Parameters section of %WHD_HOME%/bin/wrapper/conf/wrapper template.conf file

wrapper.java.additional.xx=-Dasset.agingInterval=1d

Where <xx> is the next number from the parameters' sequence.

For other OSes:

> Add JAVA_OPTS="-Dasset.agingInterval=51 " to %WHD_HOME%/conf/whd.conf

3) Start WHD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kblalock
Level 7

We just went live (Oct 2019) and are experience the same issue mentioned here. I have an open ticket with them. It seems that this would be resolved, or they would know what to do to fix the issue after 3 years. This is disappointing and does not sound promising.

0 Kudos