This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WHD How to call on an OU's parent OU

Currently our Active Directory is set up as such:

DomainOrganizationDepartment1DevicesDevice names
UsersUser names
Department2DevicesDevice names
UsersUser names

I'm attempting to have the user's department call on Department 1 or Department 2, etcetera instead of Users (think: ou=Users,ou=*). As is, OU lists all users in the "users" department, which isn't terribly helpful. I'd also like to have the Organization be the Location, which would be a similar situation, just one more parent up (think: ou=Users,ou=*,ou=**).

If this is possible to do through Web Help Desk rather than reordering or editing 200+ users in our AD I'd much rather do it that way.

Your advice is always appreciated!

edit: I should note that the Department is also 1 of (usually) 2 groups the users are a member of. If there is a way to call on the objectClass=group by name rather than ID#, this would also work for Department if it takes all groups or if it can take secondary group over primary.

Message was edited by: Adam Anderson