This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WARNING: Automated backups silently failing

I have an open case (since 8/17....emoticons_confused.png) on an issue where the WHD 12.4.1 automated backup process is silently failing.  It runs each day, but generates a useless zero-byte file.  Furthermore, the backup file aging process still runs, so soon you have a bunch of zero-byte files and no useful backup data anywhere.

The only workaround so far is to manually stop the WHD server process, backup the database with pg_dump from the command line, then restart the WHD server process.

The tech said they're investigating it as a bug; I'm not sure if it's just something in my environment or is more widespread, but I'd advise everyone to take a look at their automated backup files to check if it's working properly.

• Sorry, should have mentioned that:  Mac OS X 10.10.5.  But it's not yet clear whether it's related to the OS or some internal cross-platform WHD thing (which triggers these backups), so I'd suggest checking out your backups regardless  of platform to ensure that you're not getting bitten by this one.

• We also have seen this issue on OSX, and it is logged with Support and is being investigated. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

• Looks like I didn't follow up on the workaround for this bug here in the forums back in September, sorry about that.  I'm following up now because the 12.5.0 installer re-introduces this bug (they said back in September that they were going to fix it in the next installer...apparently they didn't, or didn't fix it right).

The workaround is this:

1. Stop WHD

2. Open Terminal app

3. Run:

sudo chmod -R +x /Library/WebHelpDesk/bin/jre/lib

4. Start WHD

That will fix the problem until the installer is run once again, until they fix the installer.  If anyone needs to reference my Tech Support case, it's Case #1034660.

John