This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using different outgoing email accounts depending on Request Type

Hi there,

We have been using WHD for our IT Help Desk for over a year and are happy with it. Another department in our organization are jumping on board. As a result, we have two separate email addresses in both incoming and outgoing, which are:

IT@company.com

HR@company.com

If someone emails IT@company.com the ticket is created, and replies for the life time of that ticket come from IT@company.com, this is working as we want.

If someone emails HR@company.com the ticket is created, and replies for the life time of that ticket come from HR@company.com, this is working as we want.

The issue comes about for non-email created tickets (ie tickets created in the web version of WHD).

If someone opens a ticket with Request Type IT > Computer won't start, the opening email and all subsequent emails come from IT@company.com. This is what we want, and I suspect this works because it's set as the default outgoing email account.

However, if someone opens a ticket with Request Type HR > HR Question the opening email and all subsequent emails also come from IT@company.com

Hopefully that makes sense, I guess what I am hoping for is being able to set the outgoing email account based on Request Type, is it possible?

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Hi andrewbsd​,

You are correct in presuming that the outgoing mail account is based on the default that you set.

Personally I have never found a way around this as you cannot have numerous default emails, you cannot set a specific outgoing mail account to a request type, and you cannot use an action rule to send an email from a specific mail account.

This being said, there's always a possibility that a workaround has been found so don't give up yet! emoticons_happy.png

-Midnight

• Thanks for taking the time to reply! What you have said was my fear, as I couldn't find a way to do it either. I did consider having a more generic helpdesk@company.com to use for outgoing email, as this would mean any request type gets a more generic company reply rather than specific departments. However the trouble with that is that I'm guessing it would break the replies sent back to the ticket, as that outgoing account would not be an incoming one that accepts email.

Hopefully someone smarter than me has found some other workaround! Still open to ideas!