This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Tracking IT Projects in WHD

I'm new to setting up Web Helpdesk, but is there a way to track long term projects separately from common, daily tickets?  I wouldn't want end users to be able to create ticekts set as projects, I'd want this only available for our IT staff basically just to help us track our own projects.  I'm not sure if I'm setting it up in the best way, but basically I just created a status type as "Projects" with no count time (so it doesn't mess up our KPIs), and then I also created a priority of "Projects", again so these don't mess up our KPIs.  The only concern going this way is that if normal tickets are mistakenly set as a "Project" status no count time or alerts would be sent for these tickets.

It would also be nice to separate our projects by priority levels but without any specified due dates.  I could create additional Low, Medium, High priorities to be used for projects, but this would just make make the normal ticket creation more complicated, especially if the project options are viewable to end users.  I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is really possible, but it would be really nice to be able to create a list of projects and then link individual work tickets to these projects.  If this doesn't exist I'd love to see this feature in a newer version, but for the time being what would be the best way to go about including projects in WHD?

• I'm guessing the lack of responses means it isn't possible to do this in WHD?

Is it even possible to set up different priorities based on if the ticket is a service request, incident, or problem?  A critical incident is not the same as a critical service request, but I can't figure out how to use different priority levels for different ticket types.

• We added a 'Tech Project' request type that clients can't see, but as techs we can create tickets using it. It might not be as ideal as you want, but it allows us to report on them separately from regular client tickets.

• This is actually something very interesting to me. It's high on our list of requests we are looking at. I'll contact you offline to get more details on this as I want to understand what you are looking for.

I'd love to know how others are solving this?

• I have been speaking with support at solarwinds attempting to document a workflow on how to setup a true project management workflow type piece in WHD.  Did you complete a workaround that actually does that already?

• I am looking into something similar, my initial plan was to use Microsoft Project to track them but WHD would be much preferred since I am in it already every day.

• Hi Dave, I'll contact you over email for more details, but can you also list here what kind of projects would you like to track? Also what does it mean for you to "track" them? What would you need to do?

• My thoughts on this.

I would like to see a "Ticket Type" of "Project"

When selected, it should be possible to have 'unlimited' Assigned Techs. Should be able to add a Request Type to each of the Assigned Techs, along with a Scheduled Due Date, and Request Detail. Really, combining Details and Status & Schedule into a box that can repeat so umlimited Techs can be Assigned.

Techs would then be able to add notes, and close their portion of the ticket. The "Project Lead" can then have an overall view of the project (what has been done, what hasn't, if things are being done on schedule).

Also, Action Rules will need to work so the Ticket can be modified as the project progresses.

• I agree. What you are proposing would be extremely beneficial to my IT department as well

• Upon further reflection, I think this would also work.

Instead of modifying the Ticket appearance, just allow any Ticket with a Ticket Type of "Project" be Linked to a Project #.

Then multiple tickets could be created "linked" to a project. Each Ticket could then be assigned to a Tech (just like now), and modified based on Action Rules.

Then put a "reveal" triangle in list mode, which would (instead of displaying the Ticket #), display the Project #. The reveal triangle would then reveal all the Tickets associated within that project. That way, nothing needs to dramatically change. List view can remain as is, with the exception that the column for "No." would either be a Ticket # or a Project # (maybe blue for Ticket and green for Project).

Opening a Ticket would not change other than being linked to a Project.

Should be much simpler to develop.

• Peter sorry for the delay.  I'll leave this post here until i can spend this weekend dumping the workflow we at our company came up with.  In a nutshell we would create a 4th ticket type that allows ticket linking.  Rock bottom simple until we can get more features into WHD.  This would allow all techs to receive assignments as child tickets of an overall ticket being used to drive the entire initiative.  Its missing deadlines and skills/task requirements but i'll need more time to map out an example of how that would work.

I was looking through the SQL database to see if you really can just add a new type and just copy the linking feature to its own proc.