This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Last IP Address

Dear all,

Since 6 years we use WHD, but have not really took advantage of the WHD Portal.

With the start of the new academic year 2019 / 2020 I would like to promote this option and encourage our users to use more the portal to open tickets or to look up tickets to get the latest information.

If we are going to do this I would love to create statistics of how many tickets were opened using the portal. Obviously monitoring this will prove the success of the promotion, the acceptance of our users and potential time saving.

To recognize if a ticket was opened through the portal or by email we need to check in the "Ticket Details", "Detail Section" the information under "Client":

pastedImage_0.png

This information also appears in "Client Info" "Last IP Address".

I was wondering if there is a WHD tool (query or report) that I can use to check this field e.g. which one is empty, what is the contents, which ticket was created during a specific time frame with an IP address in this field.

I believe I saw something about this in Thwack some time ago, but my search yesterday evening was not successful. If somebody uses extensively the WHD Portal how do you monitor the usage? Is there maybe a different way? Any feedback would be very welcome. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Eberhard

• Hi eber123​,

As the client has the potential to create or reply to tickets via email rather than from the client, it seems like this would be an unsuitable implementation.

Their IP's can and have been stored in the help desk database, however this information is rarely used and isn't overly reliable.

I have previously achieved presenting last known IP addresses for clients by creating and embedding PHP into the webpage, however this is not a supported change and would have to be recreated/tweaked every time the help desk is upgraded. Additionally you could inject code into the webpage to achieve the same objective, however this has more vulnerabilities to consider and manage.

Overall, it's possible but it's not worth the amount of effort unless you have a dedicated team or member of staff that manages that implementation.

-Midnight