This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Incoming email accounts/aliases

We are looking to use WHD to process emails from multiple inbound email aliases (versus accounts) and assign those differnent types (which assign to different tech groups, locations, etc).  For example:

australia@mycompany.com -> Type: Email Request (Australia) -> Tech Group (Field Techs)

support@mycompany.com -> Type: Email Request (General) -> Tech Group (Support)

from what I can see so far WHD doesn't process the "To" address, only the actual account it's logging into.  This means fro each different group I would need to have a separate email account instead of simply using a to alias.

Or is there a better way to save on the email account administration.

Thanks!

• This is actually a pretty good idea, and would simplify setup on multiple levels.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I think part of the problem with this approach is that WHD would have to be reliably able to determine what address the message was sent to. This is trickier than you'd think, especially in cases where the message is sent to multiple recipients, each of which is a different tech group, or when the address isn't in the To or CC headers. The actual envelope-recipient might be visible in the Received lines, Delivered-To or X-Apparently-To headers, etc., but different MTAs handle this differently.

Of course, you can do filtering at the account level, and use a different IMAP mailbox for each address tech group. We started with this approach, but I'm not sure we'll stick with it.

• I was just very surprised as most of the other systems I've worked on take that approach versus a single account. For a help desk of any size to have to have a separate account per gets to be an overhead nightmare…

For now we'll make it work.