This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Inactive Tech account causes delivery failure to active account

I opened a support case on this, but curious what others have found.

Our users are sync'd via LDAP. We also have tech accounts that are not LDAP'd, so Techs actually have two accounts with the same email address.

We've discovered that when their Tech account is inactivated, emails triggered to their regular active account fail (due to the other inactive account).

So apparently if an email address is associated with an Inactive account, any message to any other active account with the same email will fail.

According to Solarwinds (so far), this is how it's supposed to work. The present workaround is to put a dummy email address into the Tech account field, then we can successfully email their other active account.  Doesn't seem logical to me..

On a similar note, I submitted a feature request to have Inactive accounts hidden from the autocomplete Recipient dropdowns so they cannot be selected when updating tickets, etc.

• Your situation is kindof confusing.

Are you making the tech account inactive because they are no longer a tech, or is this a licensing issue? If a tech needs to be converted to a client, you can delete their tech account.

• Thanks for the reply.

We have some regular staff that rotate through the Tech Department and on occasion we move other staff into and out of Web Helpdesk (we also use it for our Maintenance Department).  We like to keep the inactive Tech accounts for historical/reporting purposes within the system, and in case the person returns to Tech duty.

Solarwinds support told me that if an email address is associated with an Inactive account, it is expected behavior that mail to any other Active account with the same address will fail.

To me, logic dictates that the system should be able to send email to any Active account with a valid email address.

• I've tested it on my system, and deactivating the tech license/account does not make the client inactive.

I also created a test ticket to the disabled tech's client account, and the email went through as intended.

I feel like what may be happening is that you have Force E-Mail enabled on a tech group that the inactive tech is assigned to. You can check that under Setup -> Techs -> Tech Groups -> Tech Group Levels -> Level Options:

pastedImage_0.png

• Correct. We only inactivate the Tech account. Their regular/separate LDAP'd staff account remains Active.

Now for any ticket where we select the user's active staff account (not inactive Tech account) in the recipient section to cc: or bcc: delivery fails stating that the account is inactive.

• Are you un-linking the client account from the tech account when deactivating a tech?

• Good thought, but we do not link our Tech accounts.

Solarwinds closed the case saying they would create a feature request for this functionality. Apparently there is no way around it except to put a dummy value for email in the deactivated Tech account.