This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do you guy migrate from Dev to PROD?

FormerMember
FormerMember

We have a situation where we have 2 environments...DEV and PROD and we have a big WHD revamp coming.

We can't develop live in PROD so I was wondering how the changes can be completed in DEV and migrated...

Scripts? Database?

Please keep in mind that WHD has to stay up and cannot be brought down during development...

Thoughts?  Ideas?

-Mike

• We use a recent backup of our db and restore to a stage (dev) environment for testing new stuff.  We do a nightly back up of prod and retain from two weeks so there are plenty to chose from but it's most often the newest one.  Each time I need to test or create something very big in whd, I ask support for a provisional license so I can actually use a mirror of our 130 tech prod environment.  The license expires after 30 days but it's usually plenty of time to work on the project.

Once everything is ready to go I don't do anything fancy to get the changes into prod, I just have stage open on one screen and prod open on the other and then mirror them.  I suppose you could write a sql script to only add the new parts from stage to prod but I've just never found the need to explore that.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

So there's really no way to do a migration...got it thanks.