This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Basic questions on ticket reassignment

I tried doing my research in the forum first to get my answer and although I see several posts on ticket reassignment, I haven't seen one which answer my questions, which are...

When a ticket has been assigned to a Tech within a specific Tech Group, I see that other techs within that Tech Group can re-assign the ticket by simply specifying another Tech within the Tech Group (as all the Techs within that group appear in the listing).  But what if it turns out that the ticket is more suited to be re-assigned to another Tech Group outside of the current Tech Group, does the ticket request type HAVE to be changed in order to reassign it to another Tech within a different Tech Group?

And if the request type has to be changed in order to reassign tickets, will this be captured in the history of the ticket, i.e., the ticket # will remain the same, but will it be shown in the history that the request type has changed in the process of reassigning it to another tech within a different Tech Group?

So what does that do for reporting, is the latest request type that was designated for that ticket captured, or both the original request type and the last request type captured when pulling up reports?

Thanks in advance!

• We have a couple of request categories which cross over different teams (eg Application Support & Tech Support) which was causing tickets to get either mis-logged under the wrong request type or manually reassigned to a Tech outside the intended Tech Group which also didn't work properly for reporting.

The neatest way I could get around this was to create a new Tech Group specific to those request types & 3 different escalation levels, eg level 1 for Helpdesk, level 2 for the Application Support team & Level 3 for Tech Support.

That way the request type doesn't change (I could not get this to play nicely in Action Rules anyway) the 'wrong' team no longer sees the ticket in their queue once it has been escalated and you can filter by escalation level when reporting. Not 100% perfect but workable.   

• I should say I am assuming in this that your request type could have elements that more than one team could need to look at, otherwise WHD will always assume each request type should only be going to one team so you would have to change the request type to reassign it if it needed to go to another team- this is the basic logic of WHD.

Report-wise in that scenario it would depend if you are reporting on closed tickets or tickets worked on over a specific period as to how it looks.

The History will show any changes to the ticket including reassignments & changes in the request type.

• Thank you for your reply.  I guess it's inherent that you can't change the reassignment to another Tech Group unless you change the Request Type, as specific request types are associated with specific tech groups.  We did fix the issue as to why only techs within a Tech Group were being listed in the pull-down list of techs to choose from to re-assign the call, that was a matter of a setting that needed to be changed (to list all active techs regardless of tech group). 

Interestingly, we did find out that out that even if you change the Request Type with the intention of re-assigning the ticket to another Tech Group, you have to re-assign it now to a specific individual within the Tech Group, it doesn't allow you just to re-assign it to the Tech Group in general for someone in that group to pick up (or the supervisor/manager of that group to re-assign).  Recall upon INITIAL ticket creation, you can only assign it to a Tech Group.  It would be also be useful if all the members of the Tech Group would be notified via email if a ticket was assigned to their group (or queue), but we are now relying on individuals, specifically the team supervisors, to actively monitor their group's queues.  I can see Action Rules being a possible way of implementing such team notification.