cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Are you using other Asset Management / Inventory solutions with WHD?

Late to the party, but here's a response anyhow:

1. What other products you are using besides WHD for asset management?

We use Lansweeper, JAMF Pro, and a home grown software. We ended up disabling the Asset function in WHD.

2. Were you the one who chose and purchased those other tools?

Yes. We actually had Lansweeper for a couple years before moving to WHD as a replacement for Salesforce for our ticketing and task needs.

3. Are there problems you would like WHD to solve rather than these other tools?

Yes. I think these additional tools are helpful, but there is a variety of weird little gotchas and missing features in the ticketing system itself. Many features that are available on other ticketing and CRM platforms are not available in WHD. If Solarwinds would focus more attention on that aspect as well as reporting (more detailed emailed reports for starters), I would be much happier as a manager of a Service Desk team. The one feature my techs miss from Salesforce was the ability to have tabs in the interface. They liked having multiple tickets open at once. Also, Salesforce had a handy function that allowed my guys to duplicate/copy tickets. This allowed them to go back and quickly open then close tickets that were very similar. For example they could take a similar one and just create a copy, change the client, save, and close. It made things more fluid for them when the calls were rolling in non-stop and they had to go back to do the tickets later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Thanks to all for the suggestion of Lansweeper.... am looking at it now as a helper to WHD (which I  just purchased)

Highlighted

Before I started with my organization, it was decided we would use Sharepoint for our needs. We have a gifted programmer for this but she is handcuffed by its templates and lack of common sense. We have a great deal of inventory we keep track of through an asset management portal but there have been too many issues customizing search engine for particular assets in all documents and previous transactions.

What kind of customization can this program provide? I assume it would do but we will not shell out for it.

Thank You

Highlighted
Level 8

1. What other products you are using besides WHD for asset management?
    1. PDQ Inventory
  2. Were you the one who chose and purchased those other tools?
    1. Yes
  3. Are there problems you would like WHD to solve rather than these other tools?
    1. Duplicate Assets are the biggest problem. If we could figure out how to continue to use WHD Asset Discovery (we do use Asset Discovery but we have some techs who no longer link tickets to assets due to the duplicate asset issue), we would be more willing to start using the parts function and just have a much more reliable database. We are considering trying to mingle our SQL database from PDQ Inventory update the Asset Database from WHD but we have not looked at how much work that would be.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Asset Discovery - we are planning to use a third party that will integrate into WHD.

Asset Management (ITAM, inventory etc), we're using the HDM API to custom build an integration tool

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

1. What other products you are using besides WHD for asset management? No, nothing else is needed WHD does everything that I need, you can bar code your inventory also
  2. Were you the one who chose and purchased those other tools? I researched other options but nothing compared to WHD
  3. Are there problems you would like WHD to solve rather than these other tools?  I would like to be able to see the install counts on software packages that would be helpful to be able to see how many times a software package has been installed it show it on the asset dialog box but no way to add that field in the basic search window.
Highlighted
Level 7

We really like the fact that WHD has asset management all the way out to the PO. It is perhaps the best system we have in our enterprise (and we have several).  We could not manage a national program with over 20K customers and devices without the WHD asset management system which has saved our ship more than once.

It would be nice to slave IBM's Maximo to WHD... to be able to have Maximo get updated by WHD as WHD serves as our source of authority on customers and devices.  Right now Maximo is used for everything in our enterprise across the US but pales in comparison so my mobile program uses WHD and double-books into Maximo to fall under our enterprise policy. Making that double-booking easier would be very nice.

0 Kudos
Level 10

We use Lansweeper as well.  Works fantastic can't say enough good about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

peter.kruty  wrote:

Are there problems you would like WHD to solve rather than these other tools?

Our hang-up is that we need something that is platform agnostic or else we have only a partial solution. Our primary workstations are Windows, OS X, and Chromebooks. Most solutions are platform-specific.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Before this, our team was using Excel spreadsheets to maintain asset tracking.  But there wasn't an easy way to update the information or scan the network for updates, etc.

I did choose this solution.  We use SolarWinds NPM, NTM, so it seemed reasonable to look at the WHD solution.  We like how the WHD has the ability to do POs and capture .PDF files so we can easily get to our paperwork when needed.  Like the customer history with tickets and assets.  Easy to search and find the information we need.

We are trying very hard to use WHD asset tracking.  We like what it gives us so far and that it works well with the ticket system.  BUT, we are having a lot of trouble with the records and duplications of records.  Once every couple of weeks I have to go through and look for and remove duplicate assets.  I found some records with up to 4 duplicates (Somehow the information of user, location is different, but the serial number is the same.  We have been talking about moving to another system because of the work needed to keep the database straight and our confidence is low right now with accuracy.

The "solution" seems to be to purchase Lansweeper and use that.  I have to start reviewing and testing soon.

If SolarWinds can find a solution to their database issue, I would really like to hear about it.  This is where I think the focus should be for the next update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos