cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Are you using other Asset Management / Inventory solutions with WHD?

1. Disco (www.discoict.com.au)
  2. Yes I chose it, and pretty much because it is open source and free!
  3. No. Each platform has its own distinct use cases and I'm happy with that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Trying to use the asset management system but it is confusing.  Trying to create a new model for example is mystifying each time we do it.  Want to add some parts to the system and no model fits. Can't find the "new model" for example to add in "Apple 12W USB Power Adapter" so we can show them at the warehouse and then take requests for them.  Frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

We're trying to put together an asset management policy from scratch using WHD and the discovery we are getting from SAM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

WHD allows you to track assets and apart having native WMI discovery also integrates with various asset management solutions and provides generic integration.

• What other products you are using besides WHD for asset management?
      • We use two forms of asset management which is somewhat frustrating.  We use M.S. SCCM 2012 for desktop management, auditing, license compliance, etc. We use WASP Fixed Asset Tracking Software - Asset Management Systems - Wasp Barcode
      • WASP was selected to help with the financial aspects of asset management including alerting for those assets that should be replaced due to age, managing non WMI assets such as mobile devices, TV's, projectors, printers, etc. We recently acquired WHD and I am hoping that you are going to incorporate the financial aspects of asset management. We need those component to aid in hardware refresh, budgets, and overall financial reporting.
    • Were you the one who chose and purchased those other tools?
      • Yes. We are an M.S. customer with an enterprise agreement. We need to patch and manage the assets so we use those functions. Unfortunately managing assets is more than just the technical aspect of the asset life cycle. Therefore we put in WASP as an interim for financial which is a challenge. Would like integration to A.D., importing of excel reports from our leasing company that ties to asset and user. Also would like to use it as repository for those documents that tie to the assets both leases and technical data sheets.
    • Are there problems you would like WHD to solve rather than these other tools?
      • Integrating technical and financial into a single solution would be a big win. I could see a time where maybe our facilities department could use a component of the asset management.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Just here to add my own input as I just went through an overhaul on our asset management and a complete audit.

Our asset management was basically run on excel up until now and in a horrific state. So having to cut costs around every corner and still be able to do what needs to be done, the WHD Asset management was my first option since we are already paying for it.

Unfortunately it can improve quite a lot. Just some experiences and suggestions:

• The WMI scanner can improve a lot. I make use of Spiceworks to provide the additional info. What I get from WHD's WMI scans are: Manufacturer, Model, IP, DNS Name, Serial#, Mac Address (but this also creates duplicate assets if you connect on Wifi once for example), Linked Peripherals and a text list of the installed software... With Spiceworks and its Community driven take on it, I get the same information AND the last logged in account (Very helpfull, especially with remote sites), the specs (CPU, Ram and if theres empty slots, used disk space, bios version even etc), Last reboot, OS SN#, Anti Virus and whether its up to date, the purchase date (which I assume they can provide by integrating with manufacturers), a complete list of its software (including version, install date and product key etc), windows events and errors plus so much more. Their asset management has turned into a support techs' monitoring tool.
  • Luckily WHD now provides reporting on Assets, but it still cannot compare to Spiceworks. Where by simply clicking on one of the installed software, I can get information on the program, a community's opinions on it and the complete list of computers on my network that also has it installed or not.
  • Since the WMI is so lacking, I am really reliant on the data import tool of WHD, but that is so fragile, sometimes giving an error when I've double checked everything. Take an on boarding process for example. Creating a PO by using the data import tool is a nightmare, so I rarely use it and only for updates if I feel up to the task. So I'm stuck updating the assets using the PO field on the Data import tool (which I've mentioned is quite fragile). A simple task takes unnecessarily long and is even harder to delegate. You can simplify the process  by using the same principle as your reservations page, providing a search list in your purchase orders editing and maybe even creating assets from your purchase orders...
  • Next is updating changes. Lets say I have an employee leaving and a new one starting where the standard assets comprise of a desktop, headset, webcam, barcode scanner, monitor and a shared printer. If the user account is disabled in AD, you can't really search for the assets by assigned user (you need to search for the user, list the assets and search for them individually). To remove the assets from the account, I now either have to open and edit each of the assigned assets or export to excel, make the changes and import, which is an unnecessary long and complicated procedure. The same goes for assigning assets. There is also no support for "group assets" such as a shared printer (if you have got a single large printer per department, assign the printer to every one on that floor). You could for example, when you search for assets create action buttons (such as asset states or location) with drop down menus on the Asset search page in stead of opening and editing each asset...
  • Next think about a site visit and audit. We have QR stickers for our assets to allow future development in asset management. It would have been awesome if assets had some sort of static web address, where we can simply scan the tag on a phone and go to the asset's details to confirm, or even update the "Audit date". Currently the best option is to do the audit on excel and import (which I am not really a fan of).

At this stage the WMI scanner doesn't really mean much and I am running Spiceworks to supply the bulk of the information and reporting. The joke is our company is still quite reliant on excel since switching to WHD's Asset management...

Highlighted
Level 7

Network Inventory Advisor. I sure would love to have this integrated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

While we're talking about assets, I have a feature request.

When adding new devices, it would be nice to have a way to bulk scan in new devices. For example, if I have 500 laptops that I'm unboxing and tagging, it would nice to have an interface where I could scan the asset tag and serial number to enter the device in inventory. Ideally, WMI or ARD would later discovery those devices and fill in the rest of the details.

EDIT: I'm also adding this as an official feature request over in that area.

Highlighted
Level 12

I agree with nathanseaton. That would be nice. We use both Jamf Casper (for computers) and Meraki (for mobile devices). The Casper connection works well for assets. It would be really nice if the same could be done with Meraki for all our iPads and Android devices (about 3,000). Currently, we import spreadsheets for these (or manually enter).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We stopped using WHD for asset management.   We are using Lansweeper for simply snooping our network for assets.

WHD associates every user with a workstation.   Workstations here are shared a great deal so this causes a problem for us.  We would prefer to ID the primary user or users of each workstation.

WHD has no association between PO's and assets.   So when parts fail, we can not quickly see which PO was used to purchase part for warrantee.

Parts management is not complete - We seriously mickey mouse the parts feature to manage our printer toners.

I would be a WHD customer for life if they would fix the parts feature to manage toners.  NO ONE else is doing it., I looked

Printer assets need to be "Grouped" into "Same printer" groups.    The same toners will work in various different printer models.  Toners should then stocked and managed by the Printer Group, not by each printer make and model.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

We recently migrated from SCCM to WHD's WMI discovery connection.  So far things are working well except for one key feature we miss.  With SCCM, the discovery connection would populate each asset's client list with the last user to log into the asset.  WHD does not do this, the client list is empty.  I just put in a case hoping they could fix it (933356) but this is the only thing we miss from SCCM so far.

0 Kudos