I am still using Spiceworks. it does a decent job and it fits my budget at the moment. Few other networking tools from some site that people here seem to like are more priority to spend money on atm
1. We use Lansweeper
2. I evaluated and recommended Lansweeper to be purchased.
3. We were excited about being able to pull the Lansweeper data into WHD but have found little value to using the asset functionality in WHD. We still sync WHD with Lansweeper but Lansweeper has taken over the asset inventory/reporting role. We have also turned off WMI and the other integreations into WHD such as Solarwinds NPM & SAM.
Currently we use asset management in WHD but it is lacking, severely.
We looked at spice works but no one on our team really liked it.
We are getting ready to demo LanSweeper.
We also use Lansweeper for our Asset Management. We found spiceworks was too limiting for a network our size.
I would love to see some sort of connection between Lansweeper assets and Web Help Desk.
As far as what exactly?
Lansweeper integrates with WHD is two ways: through the discovery connection and the asset options. And that creates for us some pretty decent asset management,
unless your talking about reporting.
1. We use SCCM 2012, Absolute Manage (and MDM), and HP Web Jetadmin 10.3
2. I did not directly purchase, but was a part of the group that chose these. WJA I did choose and Purchase (no cost)
3. I think as far as discovery, let the other companies take care of that, as we use these other solutions for other things already, and they do discovery very well. That being said, a little more options in the discovery connections attribute mappings might be nice. There are a lot of fields that I can't easily access that would make our lives a lot easier.
I'm surprised in the discussion (unless I missed it in this thread) that no one is taking advantage of the native discovery tool within Web Help Desk. Is it found to be insufficient or the other products you are using are a little better? What WHD offers with its integrated asset discovery using WMI protocol is much better than what we have now, which is nothing.
I think you will find that most places that are using other products that integrate do more than just inventory. For example SCCM can image machines, push out software in very customizable ways, remove software, do NAP, has maintenance windows to control when things happen if necessary.
Even though the license for WHD Asset discovery is "free" in that it comes with the system its redundant and has only a singular feature inventory.
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.