This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

12.6 MySQL Upgrade Fails

Hey everyone,

I have attempted to upgrade WHD 12.5.2 to 12.6 a few times now and every time I run into the same issue. The application updates without issue, but the database upgrade fails. We are running MySQL 5.7. The error in the whd-spring.log file states that it is attempting to run "UPDATE client SET email = NULL WHERE email LIKE '%<%>%'" but it errors out and says the table doesn't exist. Thus, it never starts Spring and the upgrade fails forcing us to revert to the last snapshot. Obviously, the client table exists or the product would not run, but in our database the table names are all CAPS. I have to wonder if the scripts are case sensitive. I have just opened a ticket with Solarwinds to inquire, but thought I would reach out to the community and see if anyone else has run into this. I'm attaching a text file I compiled of the pertinent errors in both whd-spring.log and helpdesk.log from the attempt I made last night.

• I should also mention, if not evident from the log files, that we are running both the front end and the database on Redhat 7.

• I figured it out. It was related to case sensitivity. I have successfully upgraded to 12.6! Here’s what I had to do:

1. Back up the database using mysqldump
    2. Drop the database
    3. Add lower_case_table_names=1 to the [mysqld] section of /etc/my.cnf
    4. Restart mysqld
    5. Import the backup (this took a long time) using mysql –u [user] –p < [backup_file]
      1. This changes all tables to lowercase, and allows for non-case-sensitive queries
    6. Run the webhelpdesk rpm upgrade

Performing all of these steps worked for me. If you use MySQL on Linux and your table names are all CAPS, this should work for you as well.

• Is this different from the last upgrade you did to WHD - is this new to 12.6 upgrade with mysql?

We are preparing to do this same upgrade, from 12.5.2, .and haven't ever had this case sensitive issue along the way.

• This was new to the upgrade from 12.5.2 to 12.6. Never had the problem before then. Easiest way to check would be to look at the tables in the database. If they are all CAPS and the database is on Linux, you will run into this issue. If they are all lowercase or your database server is windows, you should be fine. As always, take backups and/or snapshots before trying. They saved me this go around.

• milan.hulik​  fluffy midnight​  Will this be fixed in a later release of this 12.6 upgrade distribution?  Was there

a reason that Solarwinds is changing the case sensitivity of this release and will the release notes

indicate this?

We didn't find anything in the release notes that mentioned this issue, or the SW recommended fix.

• Hi 123kateb​,

Unfortunately I have no idea why this has occurred as I have successfully completed numerous upgrades without having to change anything within the databases (MySQL, MS SQL and PostgreSQL), however I have gone through a couple of instances and it does seem like it has changed to lowercase!

I would certainly like to know why this has happened and get further news from SolarWinds as to why this was done and not publicly documented anywhere, as per any software this could have been misplaced whilst changing some other values. I'll raise this with them later today and see what they come up with.

-Midnight

• Thank you, milan.hulik​, were you aware of this change?  Is this a programming issue or part

of the project plan?

• Not aware. It likely is a regression bug that the team will have to investigate and fix in vNext.

Also, I need to tell you guys, that I am no longer with SolarWinds. I accepted a job in a different company. WHD will have a new PM that the company is trying to hire now.

• Hi there - any comments back from SolarWinds, we are most interested in whether they are fixing this soon?

Thank you!

• We are having the same problem. We have been upgrading our WHD install for over 10 years without issues until now. Our MySQL server is running on RHEL 7 also which results in case-sensitive database services by default. Since WHD isn't the only database running on our MySQL server, the global "lower_case_table_names" setting isn't an option since that may affect other databases and apps we have. I have a ticket in with WHD support also and they sent me a script that renames all the database table names to lowercase. Basically it was a just a bunch of "ALTER TABLE X RENAME TO x" SQL statements. Just renaming the database tables didn't work for me since it appears when you first start up WHD it does a check to see if an existing WHD database is present. It appears to do this check using a SQL statement that references all uppercase table names. Since this check fails after renaming all the database tables to lowercase it presents me with the new installation setup wizard when I start up WHD after the table rename. So after renaming the table names I don't even get the option to upgrade the database since WHD now thinks no existing database is present and it wants to create a new one. I did a clean install of WHD 12.6.0 to an empty MySQL database on our server and that resulted in table names that were in all uppercase. So it is looking like the 12.6.0 code is not consistent with using either all upper or all lower case tables names in SQL queries. If that is the case then the only fix is looking like either all the WHD 12.6.0 code needs to be fixed to be consistent with the table name casing in SQL queries or people with case-sensitive database servers have to make them case-insensitive like what the op did. Hopefully I am wrong and there is a simpler fix WHD support will surprise me with.