cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Web Performance Monitor and IE 10 / 11

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

There is an issue that has more to do with IE 10 and 11 than with WPM, but the effect is that the new WebCache that is utilized for IE will quickly grow in size into the 10s of gigabytes and fill up a hard drive because it caches every web browse session.

So for each SEUM user, this has to be managed.

Has anyone else encountered this issue when using Web Performance Monitor and IE 10 or 11?

I edited the registry for these users to disable database and caching, but I still haven't seen this be effective, although it may be that I need to reboot the Orion server.

Has anyone else done anything different?

Sincerely,

Jason Hurst.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 9

Hi everyone,

It appears that this issue is resolved with the latest version of WPM.

I am not having the Webcache grow anymore since the upgrade.

Thanks Devs!

Sincerely,

Jason

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Level 9

Hi everyone,

It appears that this issue is resolved with the latest version of WPM.

I am not having the Webcache grow anymore since the upgrade.

Thanks Devs!

Sincerely,

Jason

View solution in original post

Level 9

I went ahead and paid to opened a support case with Microsoft to try to work on this issue (as the issue is essentially the lack of ability to control the size of this WebCacheV01.dat file). They basically told me that there is absolutely no way to control the size of this cache. You'd think that they would provide a way to control this via a local policy or at least in IE being that Microsoft is all about granular control in products such as Group Policy.

I ended up coming up with a solution that works pretty well. If you deny each user permissions to their own Webcache folder, the browser simply doesn't write to cache. I left the player running like this with 250+ transactions for a few weeks without any trouble (transactions going unknown, etc). All you need to do is run the below script once after the player builds all user accounts. This way you don't need to keep running scripts to clean the cache.

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-1":(f) /t /c

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-2":(f) /t /c

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-3\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-3":(f) /t /c

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-4\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-4":(f) /t /c

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-5\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-5":(f) /t /c

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-6\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-6":(f) /t /c

icacls "C:\Users\SEUM-User-7\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" /deny "SEUM-User-7":(f) /t /c

Hopefully this can be of use.

Thanks,

Josiah

0 Kudos
Level 13

Thanks for the powershell!  We may be trying that out.  I created a feature request for them to fix this: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3789

Thanks,

ChrystalT


Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek
Level 7

Was there ever a resolution from SolarWinds on this?  We are having the same issue.

Adam

0 Kudos
Level 9

We have also experienced this problem, and due to this we have not been able to upgrade IE on our players past 9.

The powershell script is nice, but SolarWinds really needs to work with Microsoft to find a permanent fix for this. Hopefully we can get a reply from them on this soon..

-Josiah

Level 10

I've had to deal with this myself,  My VM nodes have limited drive space and I was frequently running out and monitoring would stop until it was cleared.

It's not ideal, but for now, I've implemented a powershell job to run nightly on the players that stops the service, clears out the web cache files and then restarts the service. 

Unfortunately, due to this, we do lose monitoring for a bit of time while the job is running.

Example powershell script (I'm not a powershell scripter, so have no doubt this could be better)

Stop-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

Start-Sleep -s 10

Stop-Process -Name dllhost* -Force

Start-Sleep -s 10

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-3\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-4\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-5\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-6\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-7\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Start-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"