This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WPM creating 'excessive' amount of TEMP folders? Why ..?

Hi all,

Been using WPM for a while now & I have agents in place in 4 core areas across our estate, so far so good... overall very happy with the functionality this offers & our web guys are immensely impressed with the HTTP waterfall statistics this offers (amongst other things).

One issue I've come across & interestingly this only occurs in one of the locations where I have the WPM agent, is the creation of multiple Temp folders, this is causing issues whereby these end up consuming disk space - I've cleared ~19GB this morning which is not ideal.. see below screenie for an idea of what I mean.

I suppose my question is why, on this location only, do I see this issue? To my knowledge I've not set this agent up in any different way to the others & it's not doing more in terms of what it's monitoring?

I've reviewed the ideas/suggestions in SEUM-User-# using up disk space but ideally I'd like to both understand this behaviour & amend whatever may need amending to prevent it. Of course, scripts could be created to clear down files & so on (which is what we may end up doing) but even so... how come this is happening?

SEUM.JPG

So, answers/suggestions/thoughts on a postcard (or reply to this thread) please emoticons_happy.png

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

• Hello Daniel,

as I look at the screenshot these folders are actually a user profile folders in C:\Users, right? Do you use domain accounts for WPM player? Are the names of accounts related to names of folders?

WPM 2.0.1 has issues with temporary files in IE10 and newer when it's not able to correctly remove them. Your case looks different, it looks that WPM user profiles are for some reason created again and again instead of being reused. Can you check Windows event logs if there are any profile related errors?

• Hi Jiri,

Thanks for the quick response. In answer to your queries...

Yes, we use domain accounts for the WPM player, I've grabbed another screenshot below. As you can see, between the time taken to post my initial query, there are already multiple folders being created...

Regards profile related errors, checking the Windows application logs, I see multiple errors listed relating to this (don't know why I didn't look there first). So I'm going to see what may have happened to cause these..

SEUM1.JPG

• Think I know what's happened here.. will attempt to fix & report back

• Ok, so.. no domain accounts on this particular player location (my mistake).

The reason (I think) that these additional folders etc are being created is down to some attempted remedial work done on this box prior (due to space issues occurring previously as well).

These took the shape of amending IE settings for retention from 20 days to 2 days & also amending a config file - SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Service.exe.config - to use only 3 SEUM users, then restarting the service. I think somewhere along the way, permissions have been screwed (it's a technical term) hence the profile errors & Windows is creating the additional folders as a symptom of this.

Think I may just perform a reinstall of the WPM Player / Recorder unless someone knows a quicker fix??

• Head scratching continues, posting here so that it might be useful for anyone else who encounters this behaviour...

Presently, I'm getting no closer to remedying this (can feel a support ticket coming on) .

It seems that for one reason or another, the WPM player is creating a TEMP profile each time a transaction runs as it is lacking the permission to re-use (or otherwise update/amend/delete) the previously created profile. Why this is the case, I don't know as reviewing how it's all set up it all appears as it does in the other locations I have this in place (am sure I've either overlooked something or not looked in the area I need to) but it's certainly a permissions issue (I think) somewhere.

Watch this space

• Hi Daniel,

can you try to switch WPM to use local accounts instead of domain ones to check if the issue is still there? Otherwise I suggest opening a support case so that we cam look at log files.

• Morning... I opened case 677000 yesterday evening & support have already come back with some thoughts/ideas on this.. (have to say, my experiences with Solarwinds support have always been really great!! Thanks)

Condensed feedback below for reference:

I don't believe these are related to WPM, there's no mechanism I'm aware of that would have it create temp accounts/folders in that fashion, and labelled as such. I'm more inclined to think they might be related to Storage Manager instead, based on the names (STMAN). I'm inquiring with my STM colleagues to see if that might be the case.

I'd be keen to hear the STM teams' feedback on this aspect, although checking the folders being created, they look to be being created by one of the SEUM accounts...

Additionally, there was indeed an issue with WPM and webcache files filling up hard drive space in version 2.0.1, this is resolved in version 2.1. However, under no case I've ever seen would it create these temp user account folders.

Can you tell me what the contents of these folders are? Do they look like normal user accounts? Does the name of the folders hold any significance?

They do look like normal user accounts with all the 'standard' Windows sub-folders

Looking over the thread more, I see that you are configured to use domain accounts. What are the account names being used? Do those accounts have profiles that have been created? Can you log into the player location as those users?

Need to check/confirm around this.

Okay reading further, you mentioned you're -not- using domain accounts for playback. Okay fair enough. Let's try something, stop all the WPM services, -delete- all the TEMP folders as well as the SEUM-User-Folders, go into Control Panel/Manage Users (however you want to get there), and delete all the SEUM-User accounts. Restart the services, and those SEUM-User accounts should 'come back'. See if it's still creating temp folders.

This step has just been attempted.. will report on outcome shortly..

• Ok, after a (brief) period of monitoring this, I'm pleased to report that the steps suggested:

1. Stop the WPM service

2. Delete all associated Temp folders

3. Remove the SEUM-User accounts

4. Restart the WPM service

Appear to have had a positive effect on the situation.. emoticons_happy.png

I'm wonder if we should have 'bolted on' these actions when amending the other fixes as per this thread - SEUM-User-# using up disk space ??

Either way, it looks to be in a good place now so thanks to Mike in support & jiri.tomek

• Hi there,

Do you happen to know if there is a solution for those of us that perform web transactions against intranet sites, with high security and AD authentication, and have no choice but to use domain users?

• Hi,

Do you know if this issue has been resolved in the latest WPM version?