Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

WPM & Proxy settings - Help!

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've a WPM monitor set up on an internal server in order to check that Internet access is available from our internal systems.

I seem to encounter the following issue whereby when I log into the server in question, using one of the accounts I've created for SEUM, that when recording the transaction, everything appears fine, the webpages load & all looks rosy...

As soon as I refer this to WPM though, I get the following

"The computer where this player is located uses an active proxy server; however, the recording being played back from it does not contain the required authentication. This may be the cause of the failed playback. To correct this, verify that this website is accessible from this player’s computer without proxy authentication, or, recreate the transaction with the correct authentication."

I've used websites (ServiceNow) that are exclusively allowed through our proxy, I've tried this with having the proxy URL set within the transaction & without - either way, this still results in the above message.

I've also tried using Google / Amazon & again, having the proxy set or not within the transaction, still no luck.

What I'm struggling to understand is why, when logged in as a user that SEUM uses, it works? What is happening differently once I let WPM take over?

I'm sure I've missed some setting or other, however, on all the other servers I use this on (for varying other checks) I see no issues..

Relatively 'new' to WPM & if I can provide more info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Daniel

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hi & thanks for the replies..

I've logged into the server where the player is located using both my own account & the account that SEUM uses & yes, there is a proxy in place. I thought that even if this was the case, then configuring the same proxy within the transaction would negate this though?

Again, I can't quite grasp why, when logged in as the SEUM user & running/creating the transaction it all runs fine, but as soon as I 'automate' it, I get the proxy issue in the transaction? I'm sure I read somewhere (but typically can't find it now) I can add or enter details of accounts for SEUM within some config file on the player server in question?

Funnily (?) enough, as I was typing this a lightning bolt of inspiration struck me, I think I found what I need to do here (facepalm moment possibly) but there is within "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SEUM\Player" the SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe where you can add/configure domain accounts..

I shall wander down this route & report back!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Level 12

Ok, I'm back & bearing good news I'm pleased to say!

Configured the accounts using the SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe within "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SEUM\Player" & re-ran the transaction via the web console (with proxy settings in place within the transaction) & BINGO! Looks to be working..

Ref the 5-7 local accounts created upon install, I had to get one of our internal team to install on this particular server so I possibly missed that aspect (there didn't appear to be any accounts created that I could see?).

Either way, in a good place atm & this appears to be working as required now, so thanks to all for your replies/inspiration with this!

I work in the federal space and getting access to a domain admin account specifically just for WPM is going to be nearly impossible. Is there a workaround for customers not being able to use domain admin accounts in this process?

0 Kudos

Why do you believe a domain administrator account is required for WPM? Administrative access is typically only required for installation. Beyond that however only normal non-privileged user accounts are typically used.

We are setting up WPM for a customer that has a SSO Application that leverages LDAP. During playback of some test transactions, there appears to be credential issues. (Page could not be displayed) I've read some thwack articles on having to use the SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe executable in order to setup domain admin accounts to relay the credentials over. We have also tried disabled the sign on feature in IE to force the user to supply credentials on the recorder, and saw the same issue in the web console. I haven't gone down the Proxy route yet, but was seeing if you anyone had any suggestions on where to proceed. The WPM service itself has been running fine, and the player location is in a healthy state.

Thx!

0 Kudos

Hi,

WPM itself provides local accounts which are used for playback by default. For need of parallel execution there are 7 local accounts which can be used for playback. Playback itself is process running IE under this account. If you encounter problem with playback and it works fine in WPM recorder, it is most likely because of this usage of local. Because I do not know exactly your issue I can only guess. Good thing to try is to create some local test account on playback machine and run IE (run as) under this account and try to navigate to problematic page. If for example some proxy settings is required, then proxy settings can be set in transaction detail page in section advanced. WPM allows transactions to run with different proxy settings.

Just in case that the issue is caused by proxy and your player machine is running on WS2012 there is currently issue with proxy settings set via this web console and HF3 is fixing  this issue. But I recommend you to just try running IE under this local test account and get information, what is required for local account to successfully navigate to that page and then post more detailed information about your issue.

Petr

Thanks for the quick reply Petr.

The customer has informed me that access to the application is setup in a way where it syncs with LDAP and creates accounts for users that have a valid email address.

I know the 7 SEUM users we have are apart of the local admin group, but I'm just trying to figure out what linkage needs to be made to those 7 SEUM user accounts to be able to access the application and run playback successfully.

0 Kudos

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/63016

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/49396

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/65158

Still scratching my head on this...From the thwack posting below...

Am I correct in thinking if we disable "Windows Integrated Authetication" in IE, and the user supplies his App permitted credentials during the recording, playback will be successful without a "User cannot be logged in" page?

Since we use PIV cards for workstation login, should we just have the user login with his PIV card, maybe in combination with the step above?

Appreciate everyone's help on this!

Re: SEUM unable to play back websites using SSO

aLTeReGoLevel 20

The crux of the issue is that SeUM is unable to pass credentials it doesn't have. If when the recording was originally created credentials were automatically passed through as part of the operating system, they were not, and cannot be captured by the SeUM recorder. The recommended solution is to force the website or web application to prompt for credentials no differently than it would for a MacOS or Linux machine, or even a Windows host running Chrome. The simplest way is to disable Windows Integrated Authentication in the IE settings while performing the recording. The other other option is create the recording while logged into the workstation as a local user account. By not using your domain credentials to login to the workstation there will be no credentials for the operating system to automatically pass to the web application. This will in turn force the browser/recorder to prompt for credentials that will then be captured for future playbacks. This is also outlined in the KB below.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I would log into the player computer using the account(s) you created for WPM.  Check to see what the proxy settings are for that user.  Start IE and check the proxy config.  I bet it still has a proxy configured for the user.

0 Kudos

Hi & thanks for the replies..

I've logged into the server where the player is located using both my own account & the account that SEUM uses & yes, there is a proxy in place. I thought that even if this was the case, then configuring the same proxy within the transaction would negate this though?

Again, I can't quite grasp why, when logged in as the SEUM user & running/creating the transaction it all runs fine, but as soon as I 'automate' it, I get the proxy issue in the transaction? I'm sure I read somewhere (but typically can't find it now) I can add or enter details of accounts for SEUM within some config file on the player server in question?

Funnily (?) enough, as I was typing this a lightning bolt of inspiration struck me, I think I found what I need to do here (facepalm moment possibly) but there is within "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SEUM\Player" the SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe where you can add/configure domain accounts..

I shall wander down this route & report back!

View solution in original post

That could well be it, otherwise it will be trying to use the 5-7 local accounts it creates during install.

Level 11

I had a similar issue, has the account you are using to do the monitoring ever logged onto the poller in question?  I think that rectified my issue by making sure the account had logged into the server before any of the transactions had ran

0 Kudos
Level 12

Anyone?

0 Kudos