This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SEUM Alerts are not being triggered?

Is anyone else having problems getting SEUM to trigger alerts?

I use pretty basic alerts (ex. Step status is equal to down) and then I'll have a few Suppression entries (ex. Step RecordingID is equal to XX), as I have a few alerts that I had to create one-offs for, since they only need to alert at a certain time of day as opposed to the default M-F 12a-11:59p.

Everything has been working fine until the last week in June (6/24 - 6/28) were the last days I had alerts triggered for 5 different locations.  So I've spent last week and this week trying to figure out why the alerts aren't being triggered.  I see the events in the "current events" screen of the alerts manager as being down, warning or critical and then they come back up, but seems I only see triggered alerts for recently created instances. I'm starting to think that the SQL DB might be corrupted or need to be cleaned up as there is no explanation for why they just don't want to trigger anymore.  The last thing I tried 7/3/12 was upgrading from v1.5 to 1.5.1 thinking that it might fix the issue, but it hasn't.

Below are some screenshots of my main generic "step is down" alert.  Where if any transaction step(s) go "down" it should send an email alert for each one.  All I did to create this was edited the default "Alert me when a transaction step goes down" to Suppress alerts for a few one-off transactions that have their own alerts.  This alert should be sending alerts on EVERY transaction step that goes down, unless the "Step RecordingID is equal to XX" under the Alert Suppression tab.  If anyone is having similar issues or knows how to solve this issue without having to delete and re-create all my alerts I would be forever grateful.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Thanks,

Randall

• If you remove the fields in Suppression does it work?  If it works when you do that, you may try adding the contents of your alert trigger to the suppression tab. 

it would then look like:

suppress when all

status is equal to down

suppress alert when any

recording ID is equal to ******

recording ID is..........etc

• Your issue is likely the misuse of alert suppression conditions. The Alert Suppression tab isn't for filtering alerts as you've done here, but is rather to define a condition that can't also exist in the same context as the trigger condition. It's used primarily for dependency alerting. E.G. Trigger Condition: Alert me When Node "X" is "Down". Suppression Condition: Unless Node "Y" is also "Down".

Your Alert Suppression condition as-written wouldn't make any sense as a Trigger Condition, and as such doesn't work as a Suppression condition. If you want to filter a subset of your recordings you'll need to do this as part of your trigger condition. Below is an example of how this is done.

Step Alert With Exclusions.png

• Thank you both for your suggestions.  I believe after playing more with the advanced alerts and using aLTeReGo's suggestions that indeed the Alert Suppression tab is not intended to be used as filter.  I've change most of my alerts and they are working properly now except one that keeps giving me headaches.  This is another global/generic "Alert me if a Step has a status of Warning, Critical or Unknown" and then I added three Recording_IDs that I do not want included on this alert, but each time I try to get it to work I get email alerts for all my transactions with statuses of "Up" for every step.  When I remove the three Record_IDs I want to keep from being alerted on it works fine, but then it would be including those IDs, if they ever had one of those status.  I've tried put them in as None, Not ALL and All (but used not equal to) and nothing every time I get a slew of all Up status alerts.  Now I'm wondering why it was working fine all these months when I was using the alert suppression tab to filter out certain transactions.  I think I'm still struggling with how to setup the groups properly, even after reading the Admin Guide, (i.e. all = and statements and any = or statements etc..)  I understand that, but it doesn't seem to be working the way it suppose to. Anyway here's the screenshot of the one that I'm having issues with.

Capture1.JPG

Thanks again,

Randall

• The alert as you have it defined appears to be correct. Some things I would recommend double and triple checking.

Ensure your recording ID's are correct. I usually use "Name" so I can tell which recording is specified without having to hunt through the browser URL or debug logs.

Make certain you have nothing defined " for a reset trigger other than "Reset when trigger conditions are no longer true"

Clear anything configured under the Alert Suppression tab

Try re-creating the alert. There are multiple properties named "Status" so make sure you're using the one for Step.

If that doesn't help to resolve your issue then I recommend opening a case with support. They have some fancy troubleshooting tools that can break the alert down into its specific SQL query, which should shed some light on where the problem lies.

• Thanks again aLTeReGo,

I checked all the settings, Recording IDs, nothing defined for reset action etc...  Then I tried deleting and re-creating the alert, this time I also used the Transaction Name rather than the RecodingIDs and now it seems to be working.  I think it was the deleting and re-creating that fixed it, because I've been using the RecordingIDs since last year and never had an issue until recently. However I agree with you, this makes it a lot easier to see which transactions your either using or omitting, especially if one of my colleagues goes in there they won't have to figure out what transaction recordingID XX is.  I've gone ahead and changed all my alerts to use the Transaction Name rather than the recordingIDs.

Randall