This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SEU not so "Terrific"

I have to create Synthetic End User Transactions from a remote client that would allow Orion to track completion times of different tasks. After explaining this to the Sales person and the Pre-Sales Engineer, we were talked into buying an SE20 license. Wonderful.... until I deployed it and found out that it could only handle recording simple HTML pages. Well we only have one web based client program that we have no issue with. What about all the WIN32 based client server apps that 90% of the world still runs on???? Solarwinds solution was to create a script that would excecute the windows tasks and generate a log file with the desired information and SAM could report on it.

My colleague found a program called Macro Scheduler which he configured to launch Excel, then open a 7meg spreadsheet and spit out a log with the time to completion. I figured, this is a no brainer right????

Wrong!!!! the Solarwinds tech said, " SAM can only read from event logs or SQL databases.

So can anyone direct me to a location where I can find a script to either convert a regular log to an event log, or enter a log result to a database? That way SAM can talk talk to it and generate polling info?

• Since you've already created the script to execute the action you're looking to monitor it would seem a fairly trivial task to format the output of the script into the proper format so SAM can correctly interpret the results. You'll simply need to pass the success or failure exit code which will determine if the component monitor is up/down, as well as the statistical variable, which based on your script sounds like it would be the time it took to complete the transaction. You can optionally include a script message as well. A wide variety of script languages are supported by SAM today so it's likely with very limited effort you could turn your existing script into a component monitor in SAM following the guidelines outlined in the section of the Administrator Guide below.

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/OrionAPMPHComponentTypesWindowsScript.htm

• Thank you very much for your quick response aLTeReGo, I really appreciate the help. But I did mention that I am not a script writer or a programmer right? I realize you're just sending a link to a solarwinds instruction, but I guess I need a little hand holding. I'm usually the guy in my company making the dumbed down how-to documents, but in this case, I'm feeling a little inadequate. I'll give it a try and see how it works, but I'm not too hopeful that I can understand everything described here.

• I'm not sure it will help in your scenario but SAM is capable of monitoring log files, though it's usually used to trigger alerts when key errors are found inside log files. Our Log Parser Application Template is available for both Windows and Unix/Linux and could be adapted to suit your needs with a few script changes.

If scripting is beyond your abilities, others in the community may be able to assist or you could contact support who will be able to make some recommendations of companies that can provide professional services to assist in the creation of a custom script that will meet your requirements.