cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Licensing Question

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm looking to Web performance monitor, and trying to determine what licensing we would need.

I want to monitor five websites.  Each website will have a few URLs (or steps) to test (i.e. main page, login, perform a transaction).  And then I want to run the tests from 3 different locations.

Do I just need WPM5?

Thanks,

Shane

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 11

Hello Shane,

WPM is licensed per transaction and a transaction is basically a unique combination of recording and location. So in your specific case, if you want to monitor 5 websites, you'll probably want to take at least one recording on each of those, which means 5 recordings. Since you want to monitor these from 3 locations you will need to assign these recordings to all the locations which makes it: 5 recordings*3 locations = 15 transactions

WPM5 license is for 5 transactions only, so in your case that is not enough and for the scenario that you described you will need a bigger license.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Lukas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 11

Hello Shane,

WPM is licensed per transaction and a transaction is basically a unique combination of recording and location. So in your specific case, if you want to monitor 5 websites, you'll probably want to take at least one recording on each of those, which means 5 recordings. Since you want to monitor these from 3 locations you will need to assign these recordings to all the locations which makes it: 5 recordings*3 locations = 15 transactions

WPM5 license is for 5 transactions only, so in your case that is not enough and for the scenario that you described you will need a bigger license.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Lukas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks Lukas, that was very helpful.

A few more questions about deployment.  Can WPM server be co-resident with our NPM server? 

And for polling stations, I don't need an NPM polling license right, just a regular server without NPM would be fine?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

I'm glad to help.

As for your questions. Yes WPM can be installed alongside NPM, if you install WPM on the same server (and the same database) as other SolarWinds products, it integrates into web console as a new tab same as SAM, NTA and most of other SolarWinds products.

There is no limitation to the number of WPM players you can install, so there is no need for additional polling license. The WPM player is a standalone application which can run on a regular workstation. WPM also supports deployment of the player to the Amazon EC2 cloud (if you have an account) or automatic installation on a local network.

Great news, thanks.

Regarding EC2, we don't have an account today, but that sounds interesting.  I took a look at their pricing model.  It appears they have a free tier with 750 hours of EC2 running Microsoft Windows Server Micro instance usage (per month).  Do you have any cloud instances running this app?  I'm wondering if that would be sufficient, or what the pricing model might look like.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos

SolarWinds does not provide a cloud based offering for WPM. Our philosophy is that you can do it yourself far cheaper than SaaS based offerings using the public cloud. As such, we've integrated WPM with Amazon EC2 allowing you to deploy WPM Players globally at very low cost directly from within the WPM web interface. For more information about WPM integration with Amazon EC2 I suggest reading the following blog post at the link below.

0 Kudos