This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help with WPM - transactions dont seem to be running they say currently unknown

We have recently installed WPM 2.0.1 and are new to the product.

The basic transaction for google.co.uk will play in the recorder but will not play from within the player node. Our setup is quite large and we are currently using WPM on a single node which has the player, recorder and server all sat on the same box.  Occasionally the location will become unresponsive - a worry seeing as all of the components are sat on the same server.  the other main problem is that the transaction does not run - it always says that it is not knows.

We do use a proxy to get to the internet, but I have tried lots of different variations on where to put the proxy details

PLEASE HELP - I need to get this working.  we are running NPM 10.4.2 WPM 2.0.1 SAM 5.2 Core 2012.2.2

• Hello,

You can try following KB article to setup your proxy settings: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Configuring a web proxy for the Player

If you set up the proxy according to KB article, make sure that you don't have "Automatic proxy detection" checkbox checked in IE settings.

Also check if the player is in default server initiated mode. If you switched player to active mode, set it back to server initiated mode.

If this does not help, please open a support case.

Thanks

• I have tried the proxy settings in there - to no avail.  group policy controls these settings, but they are set as suggested.  The status of the transaction always shows as not played yet.

Also I have noticed that after about 3-5mins the SEUM agent service starts consuming about 1GB of memory

• Try creating a new, local user account on the machine where the WPM Player is installed, then log into the machine as that user you just created and open Internet Explorer. Without making any further changes, does that user have the ability to access the internet?

• HI aLteReGo

I haven't tried the local accounts, but I have done a bit more reading and I think this will be the issue as local accounts on our servers do not have access to the internet.  Is there any way that we can get the information into the player in an encrypted format rather than in the config file of the player? I need this to be secure

thanks

Simon

• Hello Simon,

What information specifically you want to be encrypted? If you mean domain accounts, their passwords are stored in config file but they are encrypted. Or it there something else that worries you?

• The password are in the config, but they are plain text - so anyone getting access tot he file can see them.  I will eventaully lock these accounts to being service accounts rather than a current domain account.

However I have come across another issue in that Playback player service now stops as soon as I start it after altering the config file

• Have you modified config file manually? Service do not start if configuration file is incorrectly formatted.

There is a tool for setting up domain accounts that takes care of password encryption and correct config file modification. It's SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe in Player install directory. Revert any changes that you made to config file and use the tool to set domain accounts. Then start service. It should run and passwords in config file will be encrypted.

• Ran the Solarwinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe - worked a treat and I now have the web performance monitor working.

Totally missed that part of the admin guide - Note to self read the admin guide properly in future!!

• Thanks for your help on this one emoticons_happy.png

I do have one more question and I dont know if you guys would be able to answer it or not, but is there a way to use this tool (or on of the SolarWinds Products) to monitor mobile applications that run on iOS or Android devices?

Thanks in advance

Simon