This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Gartner report

I've used End User Experience tools in the past (Compuware Vantage) and have tested other products Quest Foglight, CA APM.  These products are all in the Gartner Magic Quadrant.  Where does the SolarWinds WPM fall?

• WPM is in a different category than the other APM tools you've listed.  WPM leverages synthetic transactions to proactively identify issues that can potentially impact end users vs. Real End User Monitoring or RUM tools. 

HTH,

Craig

• If you are familiar with Compuware Vantage and Agent Recorder/TestPartner you will be disappointed with WPM. It has nowhere near the feature set for application monitoring. I've found WPM to be useful for monitoring basic webpages but that is about all.  I haven't even found a way to duplicate scripts and make minor changes, instead resorting to creating each new script from scratch.

• supermon,

You hit the nail on the head; WPM was purpose-built to monitor websites and web apps through synthetic transactions.  It is admittedly not a full blown APM solution; however, using WPM with Server and Application Monitor, Virtualization Manager, and Storage Manager can give you visibility across the majority of the application stack on which your application is running.

One point of clarification, WPM does not leverage scripts.  The recorder was built to be WYSIWYG so you don't have to learn a scripting language to create recordings and transactions.

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do that requires you to duplicate recordings?  Are you trying to run the same series of steps on different pages? 

-Craig

• Yes, that is a simple example. If I have 5 servers and I want the script to hit the same url on all 5 servers I should be able to duplicate the steps and change one character of the url.

• Thanks for details supermon, quick solution would be to export the recording, change what you need in XML file, import back and save as new recording. However I recorded this as a new feature request under # 242452 for simple editing of URL. Ability to change URL can also lead to hidden issues as if you change the URL without knowing what you do (and sometimes recordings are created by non technicians, e.g. UX or other functions), you can get completely unpredictable behavior if it's malformed URL.