This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Changing location of file storage

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to relocate the drive where SEUM stores the tmp.hdmp files.  Right now they go to c:\users\SEUM=User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

Since we keep out c:\ drive very small I want to change the default location to the E:\ drive.  Where do I go to look for this setting?

Thanks

Marc

• I am not sure if this can be configured. Have you considered using an NTFS junction? See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768 for more info.

• I'm trying to figure out how to relocate the drive where SEUM stores the tmp.hdmp files.  Right now they go to c:\users\SEUM=User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

Since we keep out c:\ drive very small I want to change the default location to the E:\ drive.  Where do I go to look for this setting?

You would need to load the registry hive for each of the SeUM users and modify the followin registry key for each user to point to a different path

[HLCU]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Local AppData

Change it from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local" to a path/location/drive where you have sufficient storage 

The Easiest way to make these changes would be disable the "SolarWinds SEUM Playback Player" service and reboot the server to ensure the SeUM users registry is not open and locked. When the server comes back up open regedit and highlight "HKEY_USERS". Then select "Load Hive" from the file menu. When the dialog window opens select "C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\NTUSER.DAT" as the hive and make the necessary modifications mentioned above.

Note: you may need to show hidden and system files to see the hive. 

Repeat the steps for the rest of the SeUM users on the computer. I.G. "C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\NTUSER.DAT" etc. Then re-enable the "SolarWinds SEUM Playback Player" service and start it. 

• Hello Mark,
    what you see in WER folder are not really SEUM files. They are error reports generated by Windows when any problem occurs. If you have a lot of these files, it probably means that SEUM processes are crashing for some reason. SEUM has a robust recovery features so you may not notice that in your results.

I would like to ask you to grab diagnostics (Start -> All Programs -> SolarWinds Orion ->  Documentation and Support -> Orion Diagnostics) and send them to us.

1. Navigate to http://solarwinds.leapfile.com
    2. Select the Secure Upload option
    3. Enter  support@solarwinds.net as the recipient email address
    4. Fill out the form and provide some information about your issue in the subject line.
    5. Select the Select Files To Send (Regular Upload) option
    6. Browse to the compressed capture file
    7. Select the Upload & Send button 

Once we get diagnostics we can check why you get so many error report files.

In the meantime you should be able to turn off error reporting for SEUM. Depending on your Windows version you may try steps at: http://www.walkernews.net/2007/08/13/how-to-disable-vista-error-reporting-feature/

• Hello Marc,
    I looked into diagnostics you sent us and found out that worker processes are crashing quite often because of some error in SHLWAPI.dll library. This library is Windows system file and is used by many applications including Internet Explorer. Something on pages that you are monitoring probably causes error in this library. I found out that it may be some specific HTML code etc.

Do you have latest updates for system and Internet Explorer installed? If not, can you try to update?

Can you try to disable monitoring of your site (iagt.local) and create some simple transaction for some public page? This may show if workers are crashing because of specific page or if it is some other issue. You can look into application event logs to see application crash events.

If crashing stops when you stop monitoring iagt.local pages, error is related to those pages. If not, error is more general and we may try to troubleshoot it further.

You may also try to install agent on a machine with IE7 or IE9 and test transactions there. SHLWAPI.dll library should be different in IE7 and IE9 so it may not contain same error as in IE8.

Please let us know how things are going in this case.

Thank you.