Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

RPC server

Hi Friends

I hope you can help me.

I'm trying to learn how to put better security on my system. I have learned a lot about computers in the past year as far as repairs go. Even so, I don't know much about computer security. 

I tried to get our local techs to do something about my hacking problems unsuccessfully. They were happy enough to take my money, but they didn't do anything more than installing an antivirus program. I could do that myself.

I decided to try doing it myself. The more I learned, the more I came across things that the should have done. Now I do ALL of my own repairs. I learned by the trial and error method.

When it comes to security, it's much different. I try to look up stuff on Google but there is nothing about a problem simular to mine. Hence why I am trying everything I can to figure out how to do better security myself and I can't. 

I downloaded the WMI Monitor a few days ago and it says: The RPC server is unnavailable.

GRC says I have an unusual RPC problem when I do their test. I tried to look up what it means but the answers are vague. Can someone please tell me what an RPC server is and why it's not available?

Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 20

Shanna-

Also here's a good description (a little technical) on what RPC is and some tips on troubleshooting the problem.  There's nothing wrong with learning by trial and error... we all do it.  Just be careful as some of the suggestions in the technet article may be beyond your comfort level with doing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.07.howitworks.aspx

0 Kudos
Level 13

Hi Shanna--

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I'm going to route this to the Product Manager to try and get you an answer.

M

0 Kudos

On your computer, open up a command prompt and try running:   Netsh firewall set service RemoteAdmin

0 Kudos

You may just need to start RPC the service.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator 

0 Kudos