cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Best Practices for DB Maintenance

It has been 3 months since we went to production with Web Help Desk.  Crossed the 6,000 ticket threshold as well.  Which got me thinking, how to check to make sure our SQL Server DB is sized correctly.  Anyone have suggestions on how to monitor, when to archive (how to archive)?

Thanks.

Rick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 12

I will re-state:  Does anyone have a suggestion how to trim or archive the WHD database?  How many months/years of ticket data do you keep in the database?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

6 years of tickets, all live and accessible, we have found no need to cut away or archive any part of our db.

Again, express has a 10gb limit.  It's possible to shrink that when you get close and are too cheap for full SQL.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.  Good to know the number of years you have stored as a reference.

I should have mentioned we are up to 230,000+ sequential tickets and over 40,000 assets to give you a better idea.

0 Kudos
Level 10

We started out with a SQL Express version because it was free.  As we began to grow we started getting closer 10gb express db limit so we decided to go full fledged SQL.  This was also great because we can now use the SQL agent for nightly backups.

Sorry if this is not really the answer you're looking for.

0 Kudos