This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

TCP Connect Error in IP SLA

I recently setup my first IP SLA operation as a TCP Connect between two locations.  It configured the router as expected and setup the operations.  

But, the operation status is down and the status message is "Operation did not occur because no connection (session) exists with the target. "

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting this or have any ideas where I should start looking.  

• csweet,

I expect you have verified that you have the connectivity to the target on the port specified while configuring the operation.

However, there are other aspects to know of and may be related to the IPSLA Manager:

1. The operation expects the target to be a Cisco router, more specifically, it looks for the IPSLA responder application running on it. If it is not found, the given error is reported. However, you may still configure the operation manually on the router with more detailed configuration, including "control disable" parameter, which makes the operation not relying on the IPSLA responder service, and have this operation discovered and monitored in the IPSLA Manager.

2. The communication with the IPSLA responder goes through port 1967, simultaneously with the main connection configured. If you are using a firewall somewhere on the path to the target, please make sure the port is open.

You may find more information about this topic in the following thread:

• The responder is optional for this operation. The target node can be anything that responds to a TCP open request. If the target is not managed by Orion, add it as as external node then add it to IP SLAM.

Sorry for the misinformation on this. Tomas is correct. As of now you need a Cisco device with a responder.

• Adding one more vote to an existing enhancement request (22918)

• Thanks for the reply.  The device is indeed a Cisco router and I used the tool to automatically configure IPSLA.  I had to configure the SNMP RW community string first, then I figured the tool would automatically setup everything.

However, I was not aware of the port 1967 requirement.  I'll look at the firewall configs and see if that's the issue.

Thanks, and I'll post an update once I confirm that 

• Thank you for the answer.  I didn't have a cisco responder setup.