This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question regarding Endpoints

Hi all, I need help in explaining Endpoints in NTA to my clients.

2 questions:

1. When I set the NTA to show ingress in the interface page, the endpoints shown is it considered the source where data is coming into/through the interface?

2. For ingress, lets say port1, the endpoints shown is it just data flowing from from external (as in outside from the device) or also include data that flows through the device to port1 from other ports on the same device, like port2.

• Hi,

1. When you set ingress in the interface details page, you will get only flows for traffic which entered that interface. But each flow has source and destination endpoint, so you will see both in Endpoints resource. If you want to see just transmitting or receiving endpoint you can use  Top Transmitters/Receivers resource in NTA.

2. For ingress on port1 in Top Endpoints, you will see endpoints transmitting data through port1 and also target endpoints, to which data will be routed by another interface.

Regards,

Martin

• Hi Martin,

Based on my understanding from what you've mentioned, ENDPOINTS is the source and destination in either INGRESS or EGRESS from an interface perspective. Because all the while we thought of ENDPOINT as the "destination"

Let's say for an example below:

R1---------->R2---------->R3

R1<----------R2<----------R3

1. R1 is transmitting data to R3, if we will view INGRESS in R2's interface facing R3, what endpoints should we see?

2. R1 is transmitting data to R3, if we will view EGRESS in R2's interface facing R3, what endpoints should we see?

3. R3 is transmitting data to R1, if we will view INGRESS in R2's interface facing R3, what endpoints should we see?

4. R3 is transmitting data to R1, if we will view EGRESS in R2's interface facing R3, what endpoints should we see?

Thanks.

Osmi

• Hi Osmi,

ingress/egress is flow filter, resources will calculate only with flows which enter/leave particular interface. Top Endpoints resource then operates on filtered flows, and will take both source and destination endpoint from each flow.

In your example I assume that R1, R3 are endpoints and R2 is an interface. So there is one interface missing (because router will receive traffic through one interface will direct it to another). So I assume that R2 interface is closest to R1 endpoint. If that assumption is correct then:

1. You'll see R1, R3.

2. No data

3. No data

4. R1, R3.

If you want to see just transmitting or receiving endpoints, you can use Top Transmitters/Receivers resources, they show just source or destination endpoint from each flow.

Regards,

Martin