cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Need to monitor MGCP PRI GW usage on cisco voice Gateway

Orion - 8.0, I need to monitor the channel usage of the PRI on my cisco mgcp voice gateway.

I know the upcoming voip monitor will have it but my customer wants it today, can I do a custome mib poller?

Thanks

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Level 8

I have H.323 gateways on Cisco 2901 routers.  Here is how I did it.  In Orion Universal Device Poller I click on New and used the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.86.1.2.1.1.8

Then, I clicked on the new poller to highlight it and click the transform results button up top. I used the following formula   columnsum( {cdspActiveChannels} )

This gather my active calls per PRI line and summed them up.  Then I clicked on the transform results poller assigned them to my routers and enabled web display.

It looks like this.  Number 14 and 15 are my two PRI Lines.  The transform results adds them together and then display them both but the data is the same. 

Looks like my highest call volume is during lunch and a little before the end of the day.  I guess everyone is calling home to make plans

Node Details - TER-GWAY-1 - Mozilla Firefox_2012-04-05_12-23-36.jpg

Level 7

SIP trunking is becoming a very popular way to connect to the Public Switch Telephone Network (PSTN). Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a signaling protocol, widely used for setting up and tearing down multimedia communication sessions such as voice and video calls over the Internet. Instead of a line from your local provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc.

0 Kudos

What hardware are you using for your gateways?  That information would helpful for us when looking at polling PRI stats.

0 Kudos

Here's a link on Cisco's website that talks about getting PRI utilization information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00801abe59.shtml#topic1

The gateway signaling protocol(H.323,MGCP,SIP) doesn't matter. The info that gets pulled from the lines up with what you see in a sh voice call status

0 Kudos
Level 7

We had the same need for that information and also found Cisco's support for MIBs that would track this lacking...  We ended up creating a Windows PerfMon counter that grabs the \\ServerName\Cisco MGCP PRI Device(*)\CallsActive counter set to 120 seconds, (you can use whatever interval you feel is appropriate).  Then we grab the log with MRTG and the GetLog.pl script.  This creates pretty graph images for Orion to display.

0 Kudos

Could you provide me any more details on the mrtg configuration for this and how do you display the graph on orion.

Thanks

0 Kudos

I am very interested in setting this up but a complete newb to Solarwinds any chance you have any documentation or could provide more detail on how this is done?  I presume this would be the same setup for a H.323 gateway?

Thanks

0 Kudos

There is a Custom Poller in the Content Zone for exactly this.

0 Kudos

I've tried the custom poller and it shows the aggregate calls in progress for all PRI's.  Is there a OID to view calls in progress per PRI?  I thought OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.9.1.3" which indicates "the number of DS0s that are currently in use for a particular DS1" might work, but it does not return any data.

We're running the very latest Solarwinds version, but not the VOIP module.  Will this be able to do what I want and if so, how?  If so, is it using a SNMP MIB that I can create a custom poller for.  I'm querying a Cisco 3845 voice gateway router running IOS 12.4.

Thanks,

Jason Spilde

Certified CCNA

0 Kudos

I just installed the VoIP module and I cant figure out how to check status of individual channels or busy out calls on my Voice gateways, did they ever get this working for IPSLA v3? can anyone help?

0 Kudos

This information is not provided by IP SLA Manager. However, you can use the SNMP values in this thread to pull information directly into NPM using our Universal Device Pollers (UnDPs). See this video on how to create UnDPs.

Create a Universal Device Poller (UnDP) in the Orion Platform - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and ...

0 Kudos

maybe this helps?

0 Kudos

In our investigations with PRI modules, we've found that the cpmDS1DS0UsageTable is not really supported on 3800s or less.  There is an open issue with Cisco, ticket # CSCee46303, that describes the issues with the ciscoPopMgmtMIBObjects MIB on those type of devices.

From what we've been told, that MIB is not reliable unless you are on something like 6500 or a 7600.

0 Kudos

Also be aware that the issues with the MIBS have pushed back the PRI support in VoIP. We are still planning on doing it, but not in the next version. We are working with Cisco on a solution that will work for the smaller platforms.

Andy

0 Kudos

Is there any update on using Orion or VoIP Monitor to monitor channel usage on voice gateways using Cisco2851 as the gateways?

0 Kudos

I had opened a TAC case at the time I was looking into it.  They sent the following which I haven't had time to get back to testing.  If you give any of these a try, please let us know your results.  Thanks!

According to the your comments so far, you are interested in finding the

channel usage for each PRI.

cdspTotalChannels (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.86.1.2.1.1.6), should provide all

channels on a given PRI.

cdspInUseChannels (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.86.1.2.1.1.7), should provide all used

channels on a given PRI.

cdspActiveChannels (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.86.1.2.1.1.8), should provide all active

channels on a given PRI.

All three OIDs are contained in the cdspStatusTable

(1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.86.1.2.1). This table is indexed by entPhysicalIndex

(1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.1), which should correlate to the specific PRI under

entPhysicalTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1).

cpmActiveDS0s (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.4), to get the number of active DS0s

at any moment.

If you wants to check the drill-down detail you can query the

cpmDS0UsageTable (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.1).

Each entry contains the indexes cpmDS1SlotIndex, cpmDS1PortIndex and

cpmChannelIndex, which should allow you to find out which calls refer to

which channels on which PRI.

Since you mention these are not working, we will need some proof to research

further. Therefore, we need the output of "show voice call status" to make

sure which values you are receiving from CLI.

Then, an SNMP Walk of cpmDS0UsageTable, cdspStatusTable and

entPhysicalTable. Then we can try to correlate the values and make sure if

they match or not.

0 Kudos

Thanks.  I was able to use this information to track active calls on my two PRI lines from my Cisco 2901 router.

0 Kudos

Can you share what OID u used and how you show it in your view?

0 Kudos

I'm sorry pozurita.  I just got notified that you replied to my post.  I like the new Thwack.  Are you still having issues monitoring active calls?  I can show you how I got it setup if you still need it.

0 Kudos

You are probably running into the defect derhally describes above.

0 Kudos