cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jiri.tomek
Level 14

Re: IP SLA Installation

Can you install Additional Poller that can access CPE and setup tunnel between main server and Additional Poller so that they can see each other?

0 Kudos
sja
Level 16

Hi

If you plan to run alot of IPSLA (SLX)  operation you probebly need to check with support what is the maximum

You could run into some problem there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wael.hilal
Level 7

Hi

Could you please tell me the solution in more details??

Regards

0 Kudos
nding
Level 12

I think what Jiri means is that you should install a Orion NPM on one end, and the Additional Poller on the far end.

And ensure that both can access CPE and set up a tunnel to communicate between them.

Install IPSLAMGR on both of them (IPSLAMGR module installed on the Additional Poller does not require license)

And you should be able to monitor the IPSLA between them, as the Orion NPM does not need to communicate with the far end network device.

The Additional Poller will communicate with the device at the far end, and will share the information with Orion NPM.

0 Kudos
wael.hilal
Level 7

Hi

But when I creat an operation what I did is determine the source and target nodes!!! Now both nodes are within VPN!!

What do you mean by Far end?? And what do you mean by Poller?? Please explain more

Regards

0 Kudos
jiri.tomek
Level 14

Additional pollers are described in your NPM Administration guide in chapter "Chapter 21 - Using Additional Polling Engines". Additional poller is another machine running SolarWinds products that extends original main server capacity or reach. If you have multiple networks that you want to monitor, you can install additional poller into each of these networks so that each poller can reach machines that you want to monitor. Only thing that you have to do is to setup connection between main server and pollers.

In your case when you have part of network over VPN, you will probably need to install one poller in this network behind VPN and setup tunnel through VPN between main NPM/IPSLA server and this poller. Additional poller requires also access to the database server that your installation uses.

I can't provide you more details without knowing what is your network setup etc.

0 Kudos
wael.hilal
Level 7

Hi

Is there any solution that we can depend on to the achieve the same result??

Regards

0 Kudos
jiri.tomek
Level 14

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you asking for some alternative configuration of SolarWinds products to be able to monitor nodes over VPN network?

You have two options:

• Install Additional Poller in network behind VPN and configure VPN to allow communication between Additional Poller and Main server and Additional Poller and database server
  • OR - Configure VPN so that main server can communicate with all required nodes behind VPN. However for this configuration you would have to define more rules for more protocols so variant with Additional Poller is usually the preferred one.
0 Kudos
wael.hilal
Level 7

Hi Jiri

Thanks

It seems that the picture is not clear.

We are talking here about huge network and we are selling L3 MPLS VPN for our corporate customers, we have around 500 customers, what we want is to monitor the IP SLA between us and the customer branches, these branches are inside VPN, so how can the IP SLA server communicate between the two sites of the VPN????

Regards

0 Kudos
tom.rybka
Level 12

If you want to have IPSLA operations execute on your site and target the customers' nodes accessible via VPN, you might want to set proper VRF names for the respective operations. You can find the setting among operation properties, in the Advanced section.