This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Avaya

Hello,

i want to monitor my complete Avaya setup ( up to 800 IP phones + SIP server etc)

i installed the NPM + Voip Monitor, but i am stuck at  the insfrastruture / Site setup.

it seems to recognize only Cisco - and i get that Cisco IP SLA error. 

my question is simple,

how do i proceed to have my AVAYA VoIP monitorred

• I am tagging along this as well, As I also have a Avaya setup, from 8700's, 8550's to 8300's with about 1200 handsets.

Trying to get the my 4507R Switch to be recongnized but I get the CIsco IP SLA Error, even though I am able to configure the switch with all the right information.

• VoIP Monitor version 1 will monitor voice quality using Cisco's IP SLA technology.  The requirement is to have a Cisco device at each of your locations.  VoIP Monitor will auto-configure IP SLA on the Cisco router/switches and monitor the voice quality between each of the sites.  You can gather SNMP data from the Avaya devices within the main Orion Network Performance Monitor as long as SNMP is enabled.  Orion will monitor cpu, memory, disk, traffic, in addition to, custom SNMP properties you define.

To determine if the 4507R device supports the appropriate IP SLA operations, I recommend logging into the device and performing the steps below on the :

1.       enable2.       configure terminal3.       ip sla monitor operation-number4.       type jitterdest-ipaddr hostname| ip-addressdest-port 17000codec codec-typeadvantage-factor 2 5.       tos1846.       exit7.       ip sla monitor scheduleoperation-numberlife foreverstart-time now 8.       exitNotes:All values that are italicized should be populated with an appropriate valueoperation-number- should be a numerical value.  If no operations are currently configured on the device, enter the value 10.hostname| ip-address- should be the hostname or ip address of the destination device
    codec-type –should be either g711alaw, g711ulaw, or g729a
  • I found my issue, the one switch I was trying ot work on does no support that feature. it also happens to be my only switch running that version of the IOS.

Version 12.2(37)SG The version before Version 12.2(31)SG supports it.

Does Solarwinds do any type of monitoring of Avaya Voice Eequipment? Like the S8700, S8500 so we would be able to see what is registered?

• VoIP Monitor v1 does not collect Avaya MIBs; however, you should be able to use the Orion Custom Poller to collect the desired MIB information.  In 2008, we plan to gather a subset of Avaya MIBs within VoIP Monitor. 

•  That would be great, except my Custom Poller does not work either as it stops collecting data, I already have a support ticket open for this, but there is no fix for it.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Malvado

I also have some Avaya questions....Avaya says that if I want to put a community string in, I have to buy their software, and if i want to monitor i have to buy servers and more software. I just want to put in my community string and use Orion / VoIP Monitor. Any info anyone can offer?

Thanks.

• I have not been able to find anything out there to monitor Avaya beside Avaya. Their software is not the best to begin with, What I have managed to do is use VOIP Monitor to check the quality of the lines,wan, etc... which works great. I have not been able to find anything that will monitor our Voice Traffic real time, hopefully the VOIP Module will do this in a future release.

• VoIP Monitor v1 does not collect Avaya MIBs; however, you should be able to use the Orion Custom Poller to collect the desired MIB information.  In 2008, we plan to gather a subset of Avaya MIBs within VoIP Monitor. 

Haley...I presented the VoIP monitor to our voice folks and they like it.  We do have quite an Avaya VoIP phone system and all they need is Call Manager - like details (like registered phones, etc).  The IP SLA will stay on the cisco routers.  Is that what your talking about in 08?

BB

• Exactly.  In 2008, our goal is to collect Avaya specific phone/VoIP data that is available via SNMP.  All IP SLA data will still be collected by the Cisco routers.

• Will there be support in 2008 for Nortel VoIP equipment or Meridian one PBX hardware with IP capabilities?