cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Avaya

Hello,

i want to monitor my complete Avaya setup ( up to 800 IP phones + SIP server etc)

i installed the NPM + Voip Monitor, but i am stuck at  the insfrastruture / Site setup.

it seems to recognize only Cisco - and i get that Cisco IP SLA error. 

my question is simple,

how do i proceed to have my AVAYA VoIP monitorred

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Level 9

I am tagging along this as well, As I also have a Avaya setup, from 8700's, 8550's to 8300's with about 1200 handsets.

Trying to get the my 4507R Switch to be recongnized but I get the CIsco IP SLA Error, even though I am able to configure the switch with all the right information.

0 Kudos

I have SNMP set up, but having issues with adding filters.  It fails?  Any ideas? Agent is up; ip for trap entered; I can png the sys mon system/Orion Solarwinds.  Do I need all three snmp version stroked yes?

0 Kudos

What kind of filters are you trying to configure? Are you talking about SNMP trap filters in Orion? If it's failing can you explain how? Do you get an error message? Can you post a screenshot?

0 Kudos

Turns out our customer did not have the Trap Viewer activated.  Also I added another IP address for a server to SNMP agents and then the filter changes were accepted.  I will say all your documentation/discussion threads helped me to id the issue on the receiving end. I am good on the Avaya side, but your detail, i.e.; poller, etc., caused a light to go off on my customer's side indicating the viewed wasnot on.  I asked him to turn it up.  He did and voila....all traps sent to him were received/in buffer.

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos

I also have some Avaya questions....Avaya says that if I want to put a community string in, I have to buy their software, and if i want to monitor i have to buy servers and more software. I just want to put in my community string and use Orion / VoIP Monitor. Any info anyone can offer?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

sjacisin,

I was able to load SNMP string through the 46XXsettings.txt file...  I was also able to set RW on my s8720's...  Of course, being new to Orion we have not had much time to work with custom pollers.  I am looking forward this...

0 Kudos

I was also able to set RW on my s8720's

Would you mind sharing how you setup SNMP on your S8720? I have multiple S8700's that I'm trying to get into Orion for the Voice guys but they don't know SNMP and I don't know the phone PBX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you have one of the telecomm guys login to the 8700 Web Interface you will see the SNMP Setting on the left hand side menu system

0 Kudos

The telecom guy has limited knowledge of what to configure on the S8700 in terms of SNMP settings. We've tried a few different things, but so far we've been unsuccessful adding the S8700 as an SNMPv2 node in Orion.

Attached is a screenshot.

First of all you can see the "Master Agent Status" is "up". No idea what that means but it sounds good

We don't know what the "Communication Manager SNMP Agent" is so but we've tried enabling it (checking the box) but that didn't make a difference. The box still refused to respond via SNMP.

We haven't defined an "Agent ACP Login" since we don't know what the is, or what it does.

SNMPv1 and v2 are both enabled and have the factory default community string of "public!g3mgt!localhost". This is the community string I'm trying to use in Orion.

Lastly, in the IP addresses for SNMP access section the first IP address listed has always been there and is some Avaya private network IP (192.11.x.x) address. The second IP address in the list is my Orion server.

I'm not sure if this is a SNMP issue or an Avaya network topology issue. They built their own private network with Cajun switches and we only connect via Telnet/SSH/HTTPS to administer the PBX. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them but currently we can't the PBX using the same IP address on the PBX that serves the web interface using the default community string "public!g3mgt!localhost". All we get is "The Node 'x.x.x.x' does not respond with the community string 'public!g3mgt!localhost'". 

0 Kudos

The telecom guy has limited knowledge of what to configure on the S8700 in terms of SNMP settings. We've tried a few different things, but so far we've been unsuccessful adding the S8700 as an SNMPv2 node in Orion.

Attached is a screenshot.

First of all you can see the "Master Agent Status" is "up". No idea what that means but it sounds good

We don't know what the "Communication Manager SNMP Agent" is so but we've tried enabling it (checking the box) but that didn't make a difference. The box still refused to respond via SNMP.

We haven't defined an "Agent ACP Login" since we don't know what the is, or what it does.

SNMPv1 and v2 are both enabled and have the factory default community string of "public!g3mgt!localhost". This is the community string I'm trying to use in Orion.

aLTeReGo 

The SNMP information should be created on the ACTIVE and Standby servers...  I loaded the IP information for Orion, the s8720's and my workstation (TFTP server).  Then you have to look at the Firewall settings and ensure that you are allowing SNMP...

see attached:

As you suspected the firewall was the issue. I wasn't even aware there was a firewall. Thanks!

Are you using the Custom MIB Poller to monitor anything on your PBX? If so do you mind sharing what OID's your monitoring?

0 Kudos

The list of AVAYA OIDs and MIB descriptions can be found here:

http://support.avaya.com/elmodocs2/MIB/g3mib51.htm

I have yet to get SNMP access to any Avaya working with either Orion, or the Eng Toolset MIB browser/poller/walker.
We've followed all the instrauctions here and have even opened a support ticket with Avaya.
We finally got traps working, but SNMP is still a no go. According to Netflow, I get no reply packets from the Avaya.

We are still using Avaya V3.1

0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

Shame on me - an ex-Lucent guy not that familar with Avaya! 🙂

Has the Avaya device been set up to send flows to NTA? NTA only opperates as a passive listner, by default on port 2055.

Andy

0 Kudos

Thx for the quick response Andy.
I'm actually just trying to get basic SNMP connectivity working.
I've polled the Avaya with different SNMP clients (Toolset, Orion & SNMPing) with no response from the Avaya.
I'm using Netflow on the router in front of the Avaya (instead of a sniffer) just to verify if the Avaya is sending any replies to my queries. I see no replies coming from the Avaya.

We have configured SNMP and the Firewall services on the Avaya following all the documents as suggested by Avaya to no avail.
Doing a netstat -an on the Avaya shows UDP 161 is listening, but we cant tell if the Avaya FW is somehow still blocking access to this port.

<EDIT> The SW Eng Toolset MIB Browser tool is able to connect with SNMP. I am currently browsing the MIBs on the Avaya. It's the IP Network Browser and Orion V8.1 that can't connect </EDIT>

0 Kudos

Doing some more investigation, it seem some of the Eng Toolset (MIB Viewer - V9.2) as well as Orion do not understand the Avaya  System MIB. Using the MIB Viewer if get a "unsupported OID" when trying to view the System MIB - 1.3.6.1.2.1.1

So Orion V9 can connect with SNMP, but V8.1 cannot, as well as many of the MIB tools in the ENG Toolset. 

0 Kudos

Solarwinds....any updates on Avaya support in VoIP Monitor in 2008???  Something more than custom mib work in this case.

BB

0 Kudos

Hi Bryan,

This is on my VoIP roadmap for a future release. Sorry I can't be more specific at this point.

Andy

0 Kudos

I'm resurrecting  this post, as I am now trying to get stats from my Avaya PBX switches as well.
If anyone has some Custom Poller OIDs they want to share, please post them here.

0 Kudos

If anyone has some Custom Poller OIDs they want to share, please post them here

Yes please. I'm no PBX guy and the Telco group has no idea what SNMP is but they want statistical information. What's worse is Avaya support is no help with this kind of stuff.

0 Kudos

I just read this entire thread since I will be soon be working with a client that has an Avaya shop.

Let me see if I have a handle on the current capabilities of VOIP with respect to Avaya equipment.

VOIP does not currently support the Avaya RTCP protocol that would enable it to collect stats on call QOS data, but I should be able to configure the various devices for SNMP in Orion?

Do I have that right?

0 Kudos