This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adding managed device to IPSLA using SNMP v3

FormerMember
FormerMember

I have been trying to add devices using manual option to IPSLA using SNMP v3 with no luck.

The same credentials that I have created for RW and RO access works fine in NPM, NCM, SolarWinds Workspace and Toolset Mib Browser.  IPSLA errors out with DEvice is not responding. It is down, busy or SNMP read credentials are not valid. I confirm credentials and run Validate SNMP with returns Test Failed.

• Have you seen this thread on thwack?  Greg discusses SNMP v3 configuration using Engineer's Toolset, and another user posted an Orion config that worked for them.  If these suggestions don't help, I would open a support ticket, and someone should be able to help you with your configuration.

HTH,

Craig

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to macnugetz

I had read this earlier and was good information.  The document you metion shows two of the three applications I have working correctly. The RW and RO user accounts work fine from workspace studio and NPM node management SNMP credential configurations. When I go to add a device that is in NPM to IPSLA managed device it fails with those same credentials. The same credentials also works fine using Toolset MIB walker.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Here is the working config on cisco Device: As stated works correctly with every SNMP v3 software I have tried except for IPSLA manager.

snmp-server engineID remote 172.16.2.25 903000018BA97DD03
    snmp-server group RWUsers v3 auth write SNMPWrite access Management_SNMP
    snmp-server group ROUsers v3 auth read SNMPRead access Management_SNMP
    snmp-server user RWManager RWUsers v3 auth sha A-Key1 priv AES 128 Priv-Key1
    snmp-server user Reader ROUsers v3 auth sha A-Key2 priv des56 Priv-Key2
    snmp-server view SNMPRead iso included
    snmp-server view SNMPWrite iso included
    snmp-server view SNMPWrite mib-2 included
    snmp-server view SNMPWrite system included
    snmp-server view SNMPWrite cisco included

• Definitely open a support ticket and reference this thwack post.

-Craig

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to macnugetz

Ticket has been open since 02/01/2010, not getting much traction.

• I checked your support ticket, and it looks like you just spoke with Ashley, who confirmed we received your diagnostics; we'll take a look at those today and keep you updated.

-Craig

• I wanted to provide an update.  Although we are having trouble reproducing the issue, Development is actively working your case.

-Craig

• Development was able to reproduce and determine this is indeed a bug; we have logged it and will fix in a future release.  In the meantime, Support has sent you a workaround.  Thanks for being patient with us.

-Craig

• So it's nearly August and I have the same problem. Is there any word on a fix for this? I hoped Service pack 1 for NPM 10.0 would fix it but it didn't...at least for me. I also have a ticket open but no one talked to me about a workaround. Is there a workaround for this for IPSLAM? As a military contractor my company is required to use AES 128 bit encryption. Which makes IPSLAM completely useless to us until it's fixed.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to DGoodale

Workaround: Issue was with the length of V3 auth string had to be less than 16 characters.

Development has discovered the root of the problem. It seems that there is currently a 15 character threshold in the password for IPSLA manager. I have been told that it will take quite some doing to get your current copy of IP SLA Manager to accept more than 15 characters. They have asked if for now you can use a password of less than 15 characters?