This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

cannot configure VMware hosts

I don't seem to be able to get Virtualization Manager to login to my vmware hosts.  I've got VCenter validated successfully.

For the vmware hosts, I'm using the same account I use for Orion, and I have verified I can manually login to the hosts via vSphere web access at https://host.

However, when I try to validate my hosts, the Discovery Job remains at 0%.

what am I missing?

• Pardon any ignorance, but is there a reason you're trying to add your ESX hosts directly rather than polling through the vCenter servers? In my VMan deployment, we monitor two datacenters/clusters and only authenticate and validate against the vCenter servers (2). For those two servers, the necessary credentials are a Windows account with the necessary perms.

If you can, please elaborate on the use case for adding the hosts directly. Thanks!

--Chris

• didn't step back and think of that, really.  I was working along trying set up my eval unit.  I assumed there was some reason to add the hosts, but if not, then I'm good.  thanks for pointing out the obvious to me emoticons_happy.png

btw, the data on the Dashboard widgets doesn't to ever seem to update automatically.  Is that normal behavior?  In order to get updated information, I have to select a different dashboard, then switch back.

• Glad that helped emoticons_happy.png.

As for the dashboard, since the whole thing is Flash, it can be a bit cludgy on the refresh. The default behavior is to refresh roughly every 5 minutes (I haven't counted, but it seems to be about that). I'd make sure you're running the latest version of Flash, etc. For my part, I find it runs best in IE (it got a bit buggy in Chrome). The kicker to remember is that since all navigation, etc is in Flash, if you click "Reload" in your browser, it will wipe out any open tabs, etc. While sometimes annoying, this can be helpful in clearing that ever-cluttered "Recent" bar that is now in v5 (and the old list of tabs in v4, which could at least be closed manually).

Oh, and the old faithful "clear your cache/cookies" is also worth trying (and probably the first thing Support will say). I had to do that after upgrading from v4 to v5 as it was blacking out my EULA acceptance page.

~Chris