This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Vmotion as a trigger action

Just like in the title, I was wondering if it was possible to perform a vmotion as a trigger action in an alert?

For a little background information, we have servers that go through times of high packet loss, and the solution so far has been to perform a Vmotion. So what I would like to do is setup an alert where packet loss % gets over a certain percent, it will perform a vmotion on that server.

If anyone knows how to do this, or if it is at least possible, please let me know, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

• severen.salvesen  wrote:

Just like in the title, I was wondering if it was possible to perform a vmotion as a trigger action in an alert?

For a little background information, we have servers that go through times of high packet loss, and the solution so far has been to perform a Vmotion. So what I would like to do is setup an alert where packet loss % gets over a certain percent, it will perform a vmotion on that server.

If anyone knows how to do this, or if it is at least possible, please let me know, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Yes this is provided under these two options either you can do a vmotion to another host or storage vmotion to another datastore.

pastedImage_2.png

• There are a number of canned actions specific to virtualization that you could check out.

The other option would be to use a script to perform the action and trigger the script from your alert.