This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Virtualization Manager - What is the Orion Module?

Inside the download for Virtualization Manager 6.2 there's a 800MB file called SolarWinds-Virtualization Manager Orion Module-v2.0-FullWithSql.exe

What's is this application?

• Hi Joe

The SolarWinds-Virtualization Manager Orion Module-v2.0-FullWithSql.exe is the install for the Orion Stand - Alone module that we introduced with Virtualization Manager (VMAN) 6.2.   As we continue to advance the feature set found in VMAN we have been building tighter integration on the Orion platform and providing new features only when VMAN is integrated with Orion (i.e SAM or NPM). For customers that only owned Virtualization Manager or needed to keep their Virtualization Manager environment segmented from their SAM or NPM install we have provided an Orion install for the purpose of integrating with your Virtualization Manager appliance.  Some of the features that become available when integrating with Orion are:

• Management Actions (Power & Snapshot Mgmt)
    • Web Based Alerting and Reporting
    • SRM integration -  will provide drill downs and mappings from the datastore to the back-end SAN storage
    • Single pane of glass with any additional Solarwinds products
    • AppStack view

For additional information on features that are available in 6.2 (including the Stand Alone Orion module) check out the following blog post.

VIRTUALIZATION MANAGER (VMAN) 6.2 RC IS NOW AVAILABLE!

• Thank you. appreciate the explanation.

• Is Orion Stand - Alone" a separately licensed product that I need to purchase to get the new features?  I'm running vMan as an appliance this exe is not on the upgrade .iso.  Any idea where I can download this?

• Hi Tony,

No, the Orion module is part of your original VMAN purchase - you do not need to purchase anything else to get this additional functionality. You can download the Orion Module from your Solarwinds Customer Portal.