This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VMAN Licensing Question

When I go into VMAN I found that some of our key servers are not being monitored. "not licensed". Looking at license manager I saw that we were licenced for 192 core and we have 224. The issue is it seems like VMAN randomly chose what servers/blades to monitor and which not. So I have critical infrastructure not monitor and test/dev stuff fully monitored. Is there a way to move things around so that VMAN is giving me full stats on my critical servers? We'll probably upgrade to allow for more cores in the spring when our license comes up. But  want to get by for now. Thank you.

• You can restrict the account that VMAN is using to communicate with your vCenter instance. Currently the account would have access to all of your hosts. If you block the account from having access to the non-critical servers in vCenter, VMAN won't see them and they won't draw down the licenses.

This is also mentioned on the VMAN licensing page here:

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/VMAN/Content/VMAN_Licensing_Model.htm 

Exclude hosts from monitoring

If there are not enough SolarWinds Virtualization Manager licenses to cover every powered on virtual machine managed by a vCenter server, change the access permissions of the vCenter user account to limit what it can access.

Restricting the virtual machines accessible by the user account reduces the number of virtual machines or sockets SolarWinds Virtualization Manager can collect data from. This way you can control which virtual machines are being monitored.

You can control access permissions in the VMware client by assigning the No Access role to the vCenter account for the hosts and virtual machines you want to restrict.

• If I go to the Virtualization Settings/ VMWare Credential Library and edit the credential there is nothing in there about restricting access - just the credential name, user name and password. 

If I go to the Virtualization Settings/VMWare and select a host - it gives me the option to Manage This Node and at what address. If I select a mgt address I then see

VMware vCenter or Hyper-V devices:
    Use to monitor VMware vCenters or standalone ESX or Hyper-V hosts.

Is this the deciding element? Then it asks for host type - VMWare. Then it asks for a credential. I get this error:

10.1.101.54 is already monitored through polling engine ORION-SP01.
    View the node's details where you can edit properties and change the polling IP address.
    Or, monitor 10.1.101.54 as a separate node by assigning to a different polling engine.

Can you please clarify the process to "change the access permissions of the vCenter user account to limit what it can access"? 

•  Its actually done on the vCenter side and not within SolarWinds

You can control access permissions in the VMware client by assigning the No Access role to the vCenter account for the hosts and virtual machines you want to restrict.