cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

VMAN ESXi Hosts and VMs

When adding a node, how would I know that the VMAN Orion poller is being used?

What I see when adding a node under the define node section: polling hostname or IP address, polling method (external node, status only, most devices, windows and hyper-v servers, windows and linux servers) and under additional monitoring options i see (check boxes for UCS manager credentials, poll for vmware and poll for F5.  I don't see an option to select the polling method (i.e. VMan). 

Several of our ESXi hosts have been added but they show up as unmanaged, since they are added why would they be unmanaged since Orion should start polling as soon as they are added?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

Which version of VMan are you using?

Latest version should look similar to the screenshot below, which allows native polling using the VMWare API from the radio box.

If upgrade is not in your immediate plans, you can add the node as ICMP (or/and SNMP if this just a standalone ESXi host) then click on the checkbox below to enter the VMWare credentials.

pastedImage_0.png

PS: if the nodes are showing up as 'unmanaged', then pollling method is not your problem, you may want to either remanage the node or check for license limitations in your node count

0 Kudos

This is what I see:

OS VERSION10.0.14393.0

Is this what you mean?

0 Kudos

I should be more clear, I'm referring to the bottom of your web console, should look similar to this:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

Here it is:

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.01.29 PM.png

0 Kudos

Your VMan is slightly outdated, running two versions behind (8.1 vs latest 8.3)

At VMan 8.2, the dialog I posted was introduced, a wizard-user-based-friendly method (see Virtualization Manager 8.2 Release Notes - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support  )

If upgrade is not in your immediate plans, you can add the node as ICMP (or/and SNMP if this just a standalone ESXi host) then click on the checkbox within the 'add node' page to enter the VMWare credentials. If the ESXi Hosts are showing up as 'unmanaged', then pollling method is not your problem, you may want to either remanage the hosts or check for license limitations in your node count

I don't recall your version's User Interface but try to navigate to /Orion/VIM/Admin/VMwareServers.aspx and check if you have any vCentres or stand alone ESXi hosts there, you should be able to enter the VMWare credentials.

Ok will do this thanks.  Will check on the upgrade option.

From where do I get to this path:

/Orion/VIM/Admin/VMwareServers.aspx

0 Kudos

That's the http(s)://YourOrionWebServer/Orion/VIM/Admin/VMwareServers.aspx

ok great thanks! I see the vCenter and it does show the polling method is VMAN Orion.

It looks like we have licenses available for the nodes.  The ESXi hosts do show up as unmanaged but trying to change the polling method from basic to VMAN Orion is grayed out.

0 Kudos

Are the ESXi hosts nested underneath the vCenter or appear as stand alone ? It should look similar to:

pastedImage_0.png

It may worth removing and re-adding them from monitoring as a quick-fix, though this will result in loss of historic data.

Thank you for your help.  I am going to proceed with this information.

Once the ESXi hosts are added, what is the best way to monitor VMs when adding them as a managed node?

0 Kudos

That really depends on what you're after and the guest OS of each VM. It also depends on your current licenses for VMAN and any other modules you may have (NPM, SAM, etc) and what is your end goal.

Quick example, it is not good practice to monitor VDI VMs as nodes as they tend to go up/down quite often

Then, different levels of alerting exist for each case. VMAN alerts can alert you on high cpu/usage/memory/disk activity from the hypervisor level (i.e., what the vCenter is seeing being consumed by the VM). Managing the VMs as nodes though, can leverage different type of alerting where all the metrics are gathered from what the 'Guest OS thinks that it is consuming'.

Having said that, if Windows, the SolarWinds Agent or WMI would be the preferred methods, where Linux would be the SolarWinds Agent (again) or SNMP.

No, they don't show nested underneath vcenter or not even listed as stand alone.  I found them listed somewhere else in a different section.

I wonder if those were discovered when vCenter was added perhaps?

Perhaps I can remove and add since those have not been managed or monitored as of yet?

0 Kudos

try to remove then, then click on the vCenter. That should redirect you to the node's details view and click 'Rediscover' under the management widget and wait for a few minutes.

Revisit the above page with the vCenter/ESXi host listing, hopefully you should be seeing your ESXi hosts in italics. This means that they have been successfully discovered from the vCenter but not yet added in Orion. If you reach this point, just click on each one of them to add them to monitoring and you should be all done!

0 Kudos

Hello Antonis,

I noticed that VMs can also be added as managed nodes.  What polling method is recommended with adding VMs (i.e. linux, windows)?

0 Kudos