cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Product Manager
Product Manager

VMAN 8.4 Reducing VMware Event Noise

In VMAN 8.4, we introduced VMware event monitoring.

You can see the release notes here:

Virtualization Manager 8.4 Release Notes - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

and the product blog post here: Virtualization Manager 8.4 is Now Generally Available 

When you first start looking at the captured VMware events, typically you're going to notice a lot of login/logout events. When using an automated workflow tool, or a third party monitoring tool, you're going to see even more of these events.

pastedImage_3.png

For me, I like to start discarding these events right away so I'd like to share how I do that in just a few clicks.

First, click 'Configure Rules'

pastedImage_5.png

There you can start creating a rule to discard your login/logout events

pastedImage_6.png

Set your Rule Conditions to look for EventType: UserLogoutSessionEvent and UserLoginSessionEvent

pastedImage_7.png

On the Actions, Add an Action to Flag For Discard

pastedImage_8.png

Save your log processing rule and enjoy the clarity of seeing the other more important events occurring your VMware environment in real time.

pastedImage_9.png

6 Replies
Level 12

Hi Serena,

Have you got any estimates for how much database space/io/etc the vmware events addins take up? - Is it all dependant on stuff like the above? - Have you got an example "noisy" and "tidy"?

Or is it all fairly tiny and I shouldn't worry about it?

0 Kudos

My log database is 4,000MB.  From my 'VMware Events': 37,000 events in the last 30 days (around 28,000 last month).

Full disclosure I drop 'informational' events.

Edit: I also have traps/syslog (which also goes into this DB now?) so take my total database size with a grain of salt.

Perfect, thanks!

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

For anyone who chooses to share their log processing rules that they've created for VMware events, I'm happy to give you THWACK points if you post a screenshot or share here in this thread!

I have been dropping 'informational' events as they are not actionable.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

wrote:

I have been dropping 'informational' events as they are not actionable.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

Awesome thank you for sharing, this is very helpful.

0 Kudos