Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
MVP
MVP

Using VMan to monitor/alarm on vCenter alerts/notifications

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is it possible to use Virtualization Manager to read vCenter alerts/notifications and create an alarm for specific events? If so, has anyone had success if configuring this? From my understanding of VMan, it only retrieves certain performance metrics - not the logs/events?

For example, the virtualization guys have alerts like the following that they want to be able to see in VMan:

- Cluster deleted

- Cluster high availability error

- DRS disabled on cluster

- HA disabled on cluster

- Resource Pool deletion

- Scheduled task failure

- Datastore deleted

- Duplicate datastore detection

- Host shutdown (i.e. someone trigged a shutdown, not that the host is no longer reachable)

- Host license errors

etc

etc

There are also several alerts for host hardware status (fan status, power status, temperature status, etc). I couldn't find any of these in the attributes listing. This environment does have access to an NPM server (we cannot integrate with Vman) but it cannot retrieve hardware health data from the hosts (I suspect server hardware health requires SAM?)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Product Manager
Product Manager
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager
0 Kudos
Level 14

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, VMAN does not collect VMware alerts. STM does, however. VMAN also does not do anything around server hardware health.

Why are you not able to integrate VMAN with your Orion install? If you don't want to discuss on Thwack, I'd love to discuss on a call.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Are you able to elaborate on STM collecting the VMware alerts?

Re: integration - we are putting in a separate VMAN soon that will be integrated with Orion. This VMAN install is a standalone for this particular environment.

0 Kudos

HI Steven,

Yes, so if you go to the STM online Demo navigate to to Virtualization->ESX Groups->Austin->Asset Tab. Under the Asset Tab, you'll see a report called VMware Events. This will list all of the events for that ESX group with links to the VM's that fired them. Given that this is an online demo, there isn't much useful info associated with the events. There are also reports in the product that will give you a rollup of all the VMware events across your entire environment with drill-down links to the related ESX hosts and VMs.

11-14-2013 9-49-28 AM.png

Mobile Admin also collects VMware events as well, but that's a slightly different use case.

Anything you can elaborate on about why you can't integrate your existing VMAN instance with Orion?

is this Vmware events part available in SRM Orion module as well?

0 Kudos

I have the same question.  Additionally, I wonder if anything has been added in the interim to LEM or the newer Orion VMAN 8+.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

mwb  wrote:

I have the same question.  Additionally, I wonder if anything has been added in the interim to LEM or the newer Orion VMAN 8+.

Virtualization Manager 8.4 is Now Generally Available

0 Kudos

I dont think in VMAN 8.0+ anything related to this topic is added as i have gone through the features and release notes...

0 Kudos

pratikmehta003  wrote:

I dont think in VMAN 8.0+ anything related to this topic is added as i have gone through the features and release notes...

Virtualization Manager 8.4 is Now Generally Available

Thanks - I'll look into STM.

I'll message you regarding the VMAN integration.

0 Kudos