cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 14

Unlicensed Sockets - How to find them?

Jump to solution

I have a big environment.  Really big.  We had originally spec'd out our environment a few months ago and purchased the appropriate licensing.  Lo and behold, by the time we got VMAN rolled out people had added more hosts to the target vCenters and I've reached my maximum socket count already.  (Cue sales team stampede.)

Without pulling a report listing the hosts in every vCenter and then logging into each vCenter to determine if all of the hosts are listed is there some sort of magical way that I can see how many extra licenses I would need in order to be compliant?  I know that I need to jump to the next licensing level (which is a pretty big leap ... don't like that I can't incrementally or additive license VMAN) but I need to be able to tell our management team whether I am 2 or 200 sockets over our license limit.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 17

Easiest option is to request sales / support to give you a temporary unlimited license key, de-activate the permanent key, apply the temp key to determine how many sockets you are short of.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies

I'm in the same boat with too many sockets for the licence that we've just bought and I'm new to VMan.

Mergers & migrations have confused the calculations and as I'm running the eval (for just a few days more) I can see that we're already up to 300+ sockets, but we have a brand-new 192 licence to deploy. The intention is to deselect some vCentres & some clusters to bring us within the licence limit and some of the extra growth will naturally reduce as the migrations conclude.

I can't find a report to discover where the sockets are located, just the total.

1. Is there a report that I can run to see the socket count in each cluster and each vCentre?

2. Once I know where the sockets are located, how can I exclude some clusters from monitoring?

0 Kudos

With vMan migrated from the appliance into Orion, the SQL table Vim_Hosts now exposes all of this information.

if you export the table and check the sum of CpuPackageCount where PollingSource=2 you'll see the hosts that are being monitored by VIM and which count towards your Virtualisation Manager licence tier. The remaining hosts are not being monitored by VIM, but by basic monitoring or SNMP or ICMP and you'll need a tier uplift to get these included.

0 Kudos
Level 17

Easiest option is to request sales / support to give you a temporary unlimited license key, de-activate the permanent key, apply the temp key to determine how many sockets you are short of.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 13

Were you able to get a full inventory of your sockets after our last email?

0 Kudos
Level 14

Still working on it.  Of course, I'd have some vCenter data collection issues over the weekend

0 Kudos
Level 13

Oh Josh...thankfully for you there aren't many "sales" folks that troll Thwack! ...and I have no idea how to help you either, but just wanted you to know you were safe here from the sales!

Level 14

LOL -- it's all good.  We have a dedicated sales resources for our account and he does a fine job in getting us what we need.  He's not nearly as good as a former channel manager I used to know, but he'll do

Level 13

Awww, I'm blushing! ...

OK, now I'm going to tag chrispaap so he can actually provide you some valuable answers rather than me just goofing around.

0 Kudos