cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 10

SWQL Query tool

Can i attach the SWQL Query tool to Virtualization Manager?

If not, what is the process to get attached to the database for queries?

16 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: SWQL Query tool

Hello,

yes starting with Virtualization Manager 6.0 provides a SWIS service to which you can connect using the SWQL Studio. However, be aware that since support for this was added mainly for purpose of integration with SAM and NPM it was tuned up for that specific purpose. This means that you may not be able to access all the data that you would like to this way.

Connecting to the Virtualization Manager is a little bit different from connecting to the Orion SWIS:

1. You need to specify full endpoint address in the following format:
    https://[VMan.IP.address.or.hostname]:443/swvm/services/InformationService
  2. Then for the Server Type select: Java over HTTP
  3. You can then log in using Virtualization Manager credentials

Following is the screenshot of the log in dialog:

jswis-auth.png

Now I suppose that you have default Virtualization Manager installation which uses self signed certificate for the HTTPS port, if that is the case you will see another dialog informing you about certificate issue. When you see this dialog just hit Yes.

jswis-cert.png

After that you should be able to see and query some of the Virtualization Manager entities:

jswis-entitites.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Highlighted
Level 10

Perfect will try it out when u make it back to my desk. Will let you know the results. Thanks for taking time to reply

Charles Russell

Sent from my iPhone

Please excuse the typos

0 Kudos
Level 10

I see alot of data that i wanted.  Querying all the tables in your post function as expected.  Thank you very much, it'll gets me to the next step of my endevour.

While exploring the data database info through SQL, i see alot of references about VMAN.OrionIntegration and i don't recall setting anything up of the sort in my VMAN configuration.  Is this just prepatory stuff for coming changes?

And a final new question about the SWQL Studio tool.  Anyway to close open tabs???   As i'm digging around exploring, i find tables i want to work with but the workspace gets cluterred with the 5 other tables i opened to find what my data of interest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

RE: VMan Orion integration - yes, version 6.0 added extensive integration features in Orion - if you have not turned them on, you are missing the all the good stuff!  For more info on features and how to turn on the integration, please review:

As far as the SWQL question, Lukas can give you a better answer.  Note that 6.0.1 was just released and has some improvements to the SWQL integration.

SolarWinds Virtualization Manager v6.0.1 Release Notes

Brian

Highlighted

I would like to have my integration engineer get familiar with this but I cannot get to even the login portion -I can get the WSDL here but not the connection dialog.

https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443/swvm/services/InformationService.wsdl

Should I pass this off to them or is there something I might be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Hello bluefunelemental,

you need to use SWQL Studio from Orion SDK to connect to Virtualization Manager SWIS Service. You can find the download links in theOrion SDK forum. It comes with several example scripts.

Lukas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Hey lukas.cerny when I follow those instructions with VMAN 6.1 I get an error (after the certificate error) about being unable to connect due to basic authentication.  Have you been able to do this with VMAN 6.1?  I'm using SWQL Studio version 1.9.137.0.

2014-10-21_10h48_59.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

That's a fairly old version of SWQL Studio. Before you spend too much time investigating this, I would try updating to 1.9. You can get it from http://downloads.solarwinds.com/solarwinds/Release/Orion/OrionSDK-1.9.zip. On the other hand, Lukas may already know what's going on here.

Never mind, carry on!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Oh man, typing fail.  Sorry, updated the version to correctly state 1.9.137.0.  I am running the latest/greatest.

0 Kudos