cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

SNMP for Virtual Appliance

Jump to solution

Is it possible to configure SNMP RO/RW community strings on the Virtualization Manager virtual appliance? I would like to be able to monitor this VM's disk and CPU utilization via Orion.

1 Solution
Level 12

There is no SNMP agent on the virtual appliance - you would need to install something like net-snmp on the appliance to do this.

Jon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 11

Just as an aside, I raised this point as a feature request on the forum Virtualization Manager Feature Requests.  Please go to the forum and vote on it. I was told if we enable this ourselves then it would break the support model of Virtualization manager with Solarwinds.  Can't believe we cannot monitor this product like a normal node in NPM.  Please Solarwinds take up this request and allow the use of SNMP and add it to the next release

Level 12

I would like to see this feature also.

0 Kudos

Just as an aside, I raised this point as a feature request on the forum Virtualization Manager Feature Requests.  Please go to the forum and vote on it. I was told if we enable this ourselves then it would break the support model of Virtualization manager with Solarwinds.  Can't believe we cannot monitor this product like a normal node in NPM.  Please Solarwinds take up this request and allow the use of SNMP and add it to the next release

0 Kudos
Level 12

There is no SNMP agent on the virtual appliance - you would need to install something like net-snmp on the appliance to do this.

Jon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks, Jonathan. Do you know if the net.snmp would give me a hard-drive and CPU/Memory statistics for this VM?

0 Kudos

Yes net-snmp agent loaded onto the appliance should give you these stats I believe.

Thanks for confirming that

0 Kudos

I would second the request to have the virtual appliance updated to support SNMP polling. I honestly thought my Senior Systems Engineer was derelict when he told me that SolarWinds sold us something that couldn't be configured for monitoring (ICMP ping doesn't count). Seems a bit embarassing.....the company know for monitoring and you can't monitor......

0 Kudos